Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Terrible Chips in paint

Old 03-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Terrible Chips in paint

Tacomas must I say do NOT have the best paint. I waxed and clay bar-ed my truck today and I swear I think I saw about 12 chips (normal on the hood) but there was this big one on the driver side door corner.

If I get the Paint from OEMPaints.com will it still show up?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
TX
TEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TEX357's Tacoma Gallery
Been wanting to know this question too, have alot of chips in the front bumper that need to be takin care of
Old 03-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
anyone??
Old 03-21-2009, 02:04 AM   #5
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
Huh, that's interesting. I guess the only thing good on the hell hole Mazda, I, accidentally of course, slam my zipper end (nice little hunk of metal) into the paint almost daily and have absolutely no problems. In fact, I just fell onto the car the other day with the rivet of my jeans first and not a thing happened. But then you take into account all the other crap and the car is still crap...wow that was one hell of a tangent.

They like rock chips or something???
Old 03-21-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I use Langka paint chip repair (and OEM paint).
http://www.langka.com/

It's a do-it-yourselfer kit that is perfect if you don't have a whole lot of time or $$ to fix chips. With a little practice - you can make some light chips/scuffs disappear (pending paint color). Deeper ones aren't as easy.
Metallic paint colors are harder than plain paint colors.

I've used this on our corvette and made certain areas totally disappear. I've gone over previous owners chip repairs and made them look 80% better. On the truck, I've repaired a deep chip on the hood - but you can still find it, it's not that bad. The metallic paint makes is harder to blend in. Another repair on my door is impossible to find.

The neat part about this Langka stuff.... you can repair the chip and if you're not happy with the results, you can literally clean off the original repair and start all over again. Practice and fine tuning the technique makes a big difference.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoholic View Post
Huh, that's interesting. I guess the only thing good on the hell hole Mazda, I, accidentally of course, slam my zipper end (nice little hunk of metal) into the paint almost daily and have absolutely no problems. In fact, I just fell onto the car the other day with the rivet of my jeans first and not a thing happened. But then you take into account all the other crap and the car is still crap...wow that was one hell of a tangent.

They like rock chips or something???
Yeah I imagine. Road Rash and even flies smack the hell out of the paint. and I dont know how the paint fell off of the corner of the drivers door.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I use Langka paint chip repair (and OEM paint).
http://www.langka.com/

It's a do-it-yourselfer kit that is perfect if you don't have a whole lot of time or $$ to fix chips. With a little practice - you can make some light chips/scuffs disappear (pending paint color). Deeper ones aren't as easy.
Metallic paint colors are harder than plain paint colors.

I've used this on our corvette and made certain areas totally disappear. I've gone over previous owners chip repairs and made them look 80% better. On the truck, I've repaired a deep chip on the hood - but you can still find it, it's not that bad. The metallic paint makes is harder to blend in. Another repair on my door is impossible to find.

The neat part about this Langka stuff.... you can repair the chip and if you're not happy with the results, you can literally clean off the original repair and start all over again. Practice and fine tuning the technique makes a big difference.
Thank you Janster for that link Well if you use it on your vette and looks good then it would definitely look good on a Taco
Old 03-22-2009, 02:53 AM   #9
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
Yeah I imagine. Road Rash and even flies smack the hell out of the paint. and I dont know how the paint fell off of the corner of the drivers door.
huh...so the paint is like ok paint? I mean if it were to live on the road all its life ti should be relatively unscathed after a good amount of road time?
Old 03-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoholic View Post
huh...so the paint is like ok paint? I mean if it were to live on the road all its life ti should be relatively unscathed after a good amount of road time?
Yeah its ok paint but its not as good as say BMW. Well my dad drives it on the interstate ALOT on trips
Old 03-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
Yeah its ok paint but its not as good as say BMW. Well my dad drives it on the interstate ALOT on trips
Gotcha. See mine would live on the streets a lot of its miles and not so much on the freeway but I try to stay away from lifted trucks with no mudflaps and big rigs with open tops so I should be good.