Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

bed line fender flares

Old 01-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
StormRunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
StormRunner's Tacoma Gallery
bed line fender flares

So I am officially tired of the all super white truck. As part of my mods I decided to do the fender flares and grill with bed liner. I will do a post of my grill later.

Products needed:

4 cans of rustoleom bed liner
2 cans of rustoleom plastic primer
80 grit sand parper

The first thing we all know to successful painting is the prep. I washed all my parts with hot soapy water. Once dry I scuffed up the paint with 80 grit so the primer could bite. I sprayed 3 coats of the plastic primer while letting it sit 20-30 min. between coats.

Next I sprayed the bed liner and used 2 coats with a dry time of 2-5 min. I let final coat dry over night. And here is the final product. Looks a lot like the stock black fenders.

I still need to get some new fender clips and then I will post pictures on the truck.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good, can't wait for pics of the truck. I may plasti-dip mine first to see what it would look like before I go permanent.

MT
Old 01-12-2014, 12:29 AM   #3
tensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
tensecondchevelle's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd to see how they turn out, considering doing it on my truck.

I have the Black Tacoma but mine are starting to fade from the sun and the original owner not taking care of the paint
Old 01-12-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed
Old 01-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #6

I will have them on this week I am waiting for new clips and have had some trial and error with them will explain when I post pictures.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
Cdavis is on a distinguished road

EMS:
Cdavis's Tacoma Gallery
How's it holding up? I've got some serious fading on my black plastic flares and front bumper on my 01. It looks great after several applications of back to black, but that doesn't last more than a week or so. I'm thinking about doing the same thing now. Does the texture of the bed liner hold dirt and grime in, or does it clean up well?
Old 02-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #8

I am finally getting around to installing them! they look great and so far they have held up to spilled gasoline, slight mudding, and pressure washer. take a look... Thinking about doing the bumper flares and the fuel door next. FYI I went to a dealer to get a quote for the flare clips and it came out to be $154...

so I went online and bought way too many of both sizes for $10 free shipping.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
Commie is on a distinguished road

Navy: FRC West
Name: Andrei
Commie's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you get the flare clips from? I've been wanting to bed line my flares for a while now but because of the cost of the clips from the dealership I didn't want to pull my flares off. Got a link?
Old 02-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #10

EMS:
Cdavis's Tacoma Gallery
I started to prep for doing the bedliner today. I started by using magic eraser to clean all the junk off my fender flares.

As you can see, the results were pretty dramatic. Now I'm not sure what I want to do. I haven't had to remove them at all, and they look great now, but I'm afraid they won't last. I'm also thinking about using "forever black "or this other stuff I saw today at AutoZone . Any thoughts regarding this?
Old 02-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdavis View Post
How's it holding up? I've got some serious fading on my black plastic flares and front bumper on my 01. It looks great after several applications of back to black, but that doesn't last more than a week or so. I'm thinking about doing the same thing now. Does the texture of the bed liner hold dirt and grime in, or does it clean up well?
It cleans up very well!! it isn't like a normal bedliner with a strong texture. this is more fine, gives it the mat look.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie View Post
Where did you get the flare clips from? I've been wanting to bed line my flares for a while now but because of the cost of the clips from the dealership I didn't want to pull my flares off. Got a link?
the colors are backwards so the blue clips are the larger ones at this link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281189031654...84.m1497.l2649

and here are the orange ones which are the smaller ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321198430678...84.m1497.l2649

the shipping is kinda slow if you are in a hurry but I figured I could wait since I was saving over $100 if I went through the dealer.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #13

EMS:
Cdavis's Tacoma Gallery
So here's an update on my fender flare project:

Tried the rustoleum paint, and boy did it SUCK! It was streaky and looked like overall garbage. So I went ahead and pulled all the fenders off...

Managed to break every single plastic clip. I mean scorched earth. Not a single one stood a chance I cleaned them with rustoleum tar and way remover, sanded, and cleaned with mineral spirits. Then a coat of rustoleum plastic primer and a few coats of the same rustoleum bed liner as the OP.

They are looking gooood! I am going to do the plastic on my bumper valence too, I'll post some pics of how that goes. I ordered some clips off of amazon for a total of 15 bucks, they should be here by Friday, so I'm hoping to have this tacoma all back together soon!
Old 02-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #14

SOOO...

I went on trails today with a bit tighter clearances than I would have liked but it put the bumpers and flares through the tree branch scrape test.

An I am pleased to say that there are only those dirt looking scratches. I was quit worried when I saw all the lines and scratches but I wiped one fended and part of my bumper off with a wet rag and it is back to new. I am not sure about the texture but I think it will grow on me.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #15
tony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tony2018's Tacoma Gallery
plasti dip matte black?
Old 03-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2018 View Post
plasti dip matte black?

Wanted something different and something that is a bit stronger than plasti dip. I eventually want to get the bushwacker pocket flares.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #17
NOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud of

Name: Brandon
NOLA ItsNotOva's Tacoma Gallery
Was thinking of doing this for my 01. Anyone know where I can get the rubber seals? The left side of my truck pretty much doesn't have them anymore lol.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA ItsNotOva View Post
Was thinking of doing this for my 01. Anyone know where I can get the rubber seals? The left side of my truck pretty much doesn't have them anymore lol.
I would try your local parts store. It should be just like a window wold of trim molding I am sure 3M makes this replacement. Here is a link the black should be mid page towards the bottom.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...lding/_/N-4aqs
Old 04-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #19
NOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud of

Name: Brandon
NOLA ItsNotOva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRunner View Post
I would try your local parts store. It should be just like a window wold of trim molding I am sure 3M makes this replacement. Here is a link the black should be mid page towards the bottom.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...lding/_/N-4aqs

http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobil...4aqs?id=177859
Is this what you are talking about?
Old 04-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA ItsNotOva View Post
http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobil...4aqs?id=177859
Is this what you are talking about?
Yes just scroll to the bottom there is black. here is the part number. Part Number: T5602