Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Hazy Headlights after Headlight Cleaning

Old 03-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Vincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really nice
Name: Vincent
Vincent's Tacoma Gallery
Hazy Headlights after Headlight Cleaning

hey guys, i ran into a problem...i did some headlight cleaning due to some punk super gluing some stickers on my headlights. i followed the headlight cleaning steps and i wasn't happy w/ the results. The end result didn't turn out clear at all, but was left hazy looking. i was able to remove the hardened glue though. any tips? do they sell just the lens part of the headlight?? i've done the BHLM already and don't have the time to do them again.

you can see that they are not factory clear at all in this pic, and this after the truck was washed.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
How did you clean them (headlight cleaning steps)?

You might be able to get a very fine buffing compound with the finest of grit and buff it out -similar to buffing paint. Using an electric buffer of some sort will make it quicker and easier. Or - even a hand scrub might work.
I'd test a small area first, just in case.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
Vincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really nice
Vincent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
How did you clean them (headlight cleaning steps)?

You might be able to get a very fine buffing compound with the finest of grit and buff it out -similar to buffing paint. Using an electric buffer of some sort will make it quicker and easier. Or - even a hand scrub might work.
I'd test a small area first, just in case.
the headlight steps i used.. is the wet sanding method.. using lower grit then a finer grit for the finer scratches spraying water as i sand. then use some headlight solution, i used blue magic and some wax. then buffed it out.
then i sprayed it with a shot of clear coat..and it came out clear, but hazy...i just want the light to get back to it's factory look and clearness
Old 03-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
look for headlight buffing on youtube theres a mexican dude doing it the paisa way...toothpast...try it
Old 03-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
Vincent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioso View Post
look for headlight buffing on youtube theres a mexican dude doing it the paisa way...toothpast...try it
alright thanks...toothpaste..will it make it OEM clear again?????????....i'll see.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Sign Guy will become famous soon enough
Name: Brian
Sign Guy's Tacoma Gallery
What happened in your case was a chemical reaction between the clear coat spray and the plastic. Same thing happens with superglue and plastic and other "solvent" type liquids and plastics.

I'm sorry but I think you are kinda hosed and should find some replacement lenses on ebay or the junkyard.