Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Tips on Snow Removal - How NOT to Scratch Your Paint

Old 01-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
Mr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Mr. Sparkle's Tacoma Gallery
Tips on Snow Removal - How NOT to Scratch Your Paint

Just posting a link on some tips for snow removal. You'll see that my taco was used for the demonstration. Enjoy!

http://mrsparkledetailing.com/tips-o...tch-your-paint
Old 01-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
lyodbraun is on a distinguished road

Army:
lyodbraun's Tacoma Gallery
Or you could just leave the snow to blow off or melt and no scratching paint at all ....
Old 01-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
blissfully biased
jparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jason
jparf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
Or you could just leave the snow to blow off or melt and no scratching paint at all ....
I despise people who leave snow on their vehicle to blow into other cars behind them. They are lazy assholes.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:27 PM   #4
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
That works real well with multiple inches of show on your vehicle. Plus, you get to cause an unsafe condition for the people behind you. It is actually illegal in PA.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's illegal in PA to leave snow on your car.

I just use a nylon brush ice scraper combo thing. I have a beater so I don't care about the paint though.

Edit: got beat to the punch.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
Tmill will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Aviator
Name: Tyler
Tmill's Tacoma Gallery
I use a push broom.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #7
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparf View Post
I despise people who leave snow on their vehicle to blow into other cars behind them. They are lazy assholes.
^^^^^ this
Old 01-17-2014, 08:17 PM   #8
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Those push snow removers are awesome & definitely scratch free. I either park in the garage or use the squeegee side of my Costco snow brush. Lately though haven't had much snow only ice
Old 01-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #9
Don't Let Your Meatloaf
AR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AR15xAR10's Tacoma Gallery
Remote start definitely helps by warming the frozen stuff and making it break loose more easily.

I just use an extendable snow brush with a brush on one side and a squegy on the other. The brush you use on the snow, the squegy you use only on the glass and gently. I don't like to use the plastic ice scraper if i can help it. I usually just let the heat of the running truck make it come loose and then break it up with my hands or pound on it gently to make it break up.

A healthy wash and wax with a carnauba cleaner wax before/after summer and at least once in the summer really helps fight scratches too. I use Mother's wax.

Also, if you do scratch something....fear not, it'll likely come out with some rubbing compound from the same place you would buy your wax.

Hope i've helped.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
Mr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Mr. Sparkle's Tacoma Gallery
bumping this thread as I was contacted by the Cars.com 'kicking tires' blog who featured some of my commentary in their post on the same subject!

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...-your-car.html
Old 02-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #11
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmill View Post
I use a push broom.
This^^^^^^ And I park in my garage when the GF isn't in it.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #12
NoRemorse is on a distinguished road

Name: James
NoRemorse's Tacoma Gallery
May sound funny, but if it isn't a wet heavy snow I break out the leaf blower lol. Works great for a touch free snow removal.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #13
loosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: jerry
loosnut's Tacoma Gallery
SNO PRO GOOGLE IT, been using it on customers cars for at least15 years.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #14
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Living up in Canada , I can assure you that any garage or $200 dollar car port is going to save the paint wether it be from snow and ice or the summer sun but when I go to work and the truck spends 16 hours in the weather,I use a sealer on the windows and thick wax on the paint to keep the salt off . An old bed sheet over the front windshield saves a lot of scraping after a long day at the grind .
Old 08-28-2014, 05:55 AM   #15
4x4cajun is on a distinguished road
Marines: Fast Company
4x4cajun's Tacoma Gallery
If you keep the truck well polished it should just slide off.. I'm able to just lift it off the truck or slide it right off