Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Halo Projector Headlight Fogging Fix

Old 03-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Halo Projector Headlight Fogging Fix

Okay everyone we finally have a fix and it's very simple if you haven't done it already.

Pictures were taken by Dizzle and it was his idea for the fix so I can't really take the credit.

First take off grill and drill one hole using a 1/8 drill bit from the side.

Second take off the plastic piece under the headlight and drill a hole from the bottom.

Very easy
Old 03-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
Canadian member
tacomian devil is a jewel in the roughtacomian devil is a jewel in the roughtacomian devil is a jewel in the roughtacomian devil is a jewel in the rough

tacomian devil's Tacoma Gallery
For you initial posters and other Taco owners that have tried this fix (Thread now over 2 years old and I haven't heard/read about this anywhere else), does this actually solve the fogging problem for the HID-BHLMs and HIDs in projector mods?

My gut says that you probably don't want air of varying humidity (changing daily with the weather) having ready access to a heat source like a HID or halogen. Seems like it should work while the lights are on and hot (as air heating up can always hold MORE moisture), but I can't help thinking there would be a lot of condensation problems INSIDE the fixture when the bulbs cool (i.e. within minutes of OFF).

IF this actually works, I would have also thought that the manufacturers (ANZO, Spyder, etc, would have copied this "fix" by now)

I would appreciate anyone who has tried this to comment. THANKS!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Strange......I mean there's "weep" holes already in the lights. On the back rubber elbow hoses leading to em. Not sure how this would help the fogging, since air is already getting in.
Buuuuut, anything is wortth a try I suppose. Ill see how others fair.
The OEM "weep holes" IMO are too low to fully vent the moisture that enters the headlight housing. When water turns to vapor it rises. It does not go sideways..... Stupid engineers.....

I've done the "drill a hole" method in many headlight lenses over the years and it's always worked out just fine. Never noticed any difference in the life span of the lamps.

I used a much smaller drill bit though (1/64"), and put 2 holes in the bottom of the lens (one on each side), and 1 hole in the top at the highest point on the lens. When the headlights are on, the heat will turn the water into vapor. As the vapor rises and exits thru the top hole, cooler dry air will be drawn in thru the bottom holes (natural convection). I used a 1/64" drill bit because rain water will not enter a hole that small on it's own, but it's large enough for the air and water vapor to exit.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I guess you need to decide what is the lesser of the two evils.....

Seeing a couple of very small holes, or looking at the fogged up light......

In the long run, you get used to seeing the holes, and eventually you don't even notice them. But you will look at the fogged up light evey time you pass the front of the vehicle and be pissed that they look like that.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
It never worked for me. Instead they seemed to fog quicker, but once outside the housing and inside reached equilibrium the fogging went away quicker. I got tired of the fogging all together and went to retrofit.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Still not worthy!
Sawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud of

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Jason
Sawick's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just take the lights back out, and run some clear silicone around the inner edge of the light/housing? Thats what I did with my Ebay lights to stop the fogging. Worked great.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
Canadian member
tacomian devil is a jewel in the roughtacomian devil is a jewel in the roughtacomian devil is a jewel in the roughtacomian devil is a jewel in the rough

tacomian devil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketball View Post
I've done the "drill a hole" method in many headlight lenses over the years and it's always worked out just fine. Never noticed any difference in the life span of the lamps.

I used a much smaller drill bit though (1/64"), and put 2 holes in the bottom of the lens (one on each side), and 1 hole in the top at the highest point on the lens. When the headlights are on, the heat will turn the water into vapor. As the vapor rises and exits thru the top hole, cooler dry air will be drawn in thru the bottom holes (natural convection).
Do you mean that the presence of these extra holes that you drill solves the fogging problem COMPLETELY,... or does it just SPEED UP the drying process when the lights DO occasionally fog?

If its RAINING, it won't be DRY air drawn in thru the bottom holes. In weather of higher humidity, do the holes seem to make the fogging worse when you shut off your vehicle,... at least temporarily?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomian devil View Post
Do you mean that the presence of these extra holes that you drill solves the fogging problem COMPLETELY,... or does it just SPEED UP the drying process when the lights DO occasionally fog?

If its RAINING, it won't be DRY air drawn in thru the bottom holes. In weather of higher humidity, do the holes seem to make the fogging worse when you shut off your vehicle,... at least temporarily?
I've done this to 3 vehicles I've owned in the past, and after I drilled the holes I NEVER EVER saw any more fogging. My experience may not be typical , but it worked on 3 totally different vehicles that I have owned over the past 10 years.

I'm sure there was still moister in the housing from rain and high humidity, but with the added ventilation I guess it vented out before it accumulated on the inside of the headlight lens.