Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

DFW: Touch Up Paint (recommendations)

Old 02-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD is on a distinguished road
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
DFW: Touch Up Paint (recommendations)

Well, I was able to replace my antenna assembly today but along with it came a few scratches and such. I have never tried touching up myself so if the price is right, I'd like to pay someone to fix them for me.

Does anyone recommend a business in the DFW area, mainly in the north Fort Worth area that will do this for me cheap?
Old 02-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
Don't waste your money. You can do touch ups very very easily on your own.

Put up a picture of the damage it might not even need a touch up.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:10 AM   #3
DroidJunky is on a distinguished road

Name: Brad
DroidJunky's Tacoma Gallery
If it helps, I just bought my touch up paint off of Amazon from a place called touchupdirect and it matches perfectly. For $33.00 I got primer, paint and clear coat. Also cam with sand paper gloves and cleaning pads.

If you go that route definitely get the clear to go with it.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up the 1E7 paint stick from the dealership. Bad idea?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #6
DroidJunky is on a distinguished road

Name: Brad
DroidJunky's Tacoma Gallery
As long as that code is the correct code for your paint you should be good.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #7
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidJunky View Post
As long as that code is the correct code for your paint you should be good.
It is. Whats the best way to do this?
Old 02-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #8
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I would try to find a touch up brush with a really small tip and try to keep the touch ups as small as possible.

The colour from a touch up will never match 100% so it's important to keep it as small as possible
Old 02-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #9
vssman will become famous soon enoughvssman will become famous soon enough
vssman's Tacoma Gallery
For small scratches/chips, I use a cardboard match. Not the end that lights, but the other end that is torn from the book. Dip just the edge of the match in a little paint and gently dab to transfer it to the scratch or chip. Let it dry and add a little more to build up the layer if needed. Apply small amounts instead of a big dollop.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vssman View Post
For small scratches/chips, I use a cardboard match. Not the end that lights, but the other end that is torn from the book. Dip just the edge of the match in a little paint and gently dab to transfer it to the scratch or chip. Let it dry and add a little more to build up the layer if needed. Apply small amounts instead of a big dollop.
That's an awesome idea I have to try that.

We use proper touch up brushes and it's impossible to keep the touch up small so we usually take the tip off and just use the plastic end.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #11
Mr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Mr. Sparkle's Tacoma Gallery
for touchup work I typically use 000 paint brushes from the artist supply store. I think its the smallest brush they carry. Less is more with paint touchup.

it will never look perfect (sorry) but it'll be a lot better. Even with correct paint code, the paint match may be off a bit. Tough to match silver or gold basecoats exactly.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:57 AM   #12
Senior Injector
Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty Shackleford
Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
I've used a toothpick to dab and gently spread the paint with excellent results. It's also easier to keep any paint off unblemished areas. First, I started with a very inconspicuous area in which to create my technique and worked from there. As Mr. Sparkle stated, very fine brushes from an artist supply store are excellent to use.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #13
Chaloots is just really niceChaloots is just really niceChaloots is just really niceChaloots is just really niceChaloots is just really nice
Chaloots's Tacoma Gallery
my buddy has used Dr. Colorchip on his BMWs with great success, im going to give it a shot once the weather warms up and report back. Not cheap but it worked well for him.

www.drcolorchip.com