Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Cleaning engine

Old 02-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
Skeetdad is on a distinguished road
Skeetdad's Tacoma Gallery
Cleaning engine

I just read the "hot or cold" thread on cleaning engines. As a moderately inept mechanic, what pieces absolutely should get covered with plastic before washing? What should not be powerfully directed at?
Old 03-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
TacoFlavouredKiss is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
TacoFlavouredKiss's Tacoma Gallery
I think it'd be better to just use a rag or something. I've seen someone high pressure hose their bay, not too pretty
Old 03-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
Roll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Quinton
Roll Tide's Tacoma Gallery
I've pressure washed mine at a Blue Beacon for years. Just leave it running, and stay away from the air box and let the chemicals do most of the work.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
I do it all the time. Just use it to blow off the suds. Don't hold it close to anything to be safe.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JeanClaude's Tacoma Gallery
With a cool engine, as long as you don't soak components down you will be fine.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
GotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
GotExhaust's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a good video that Adam's Polishes did a while ago. The engine bay they used for demonstration isn't *that* dirty ...but I'm in total agreement with most of the techniques they cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZvEZrgyoX0
Old 03-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I think the key is .....engine COLD and not a lot of pressure.

I've only done mine a couple times in 7 years. I used to use Simple Green.....but that stuff is kinda corrosive.

The last time I washed mine, I used DAWN Power Dissolver. Spray it on....let it sit for a few minutes and hose it off with no pressure and no scrubbing.

It's probably not a 'detailers' choice - but it cleaned it up enough for me!!