Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

how do i remove smoke smell from my a/c system?

Old 02-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
Onewyr is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryan
Onewyr's Tacoma Gallery
how do i remove smoke smell from my a/c system?

I just purchased a 98 tacoma and the previous owner smoked like crazy and the smell is over powering to me a non smoker. How do i go about flushing the smoke smell from the a/c / heater system? Also can i clean the headliner without fear of making it sag?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:10 AM   #2
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewyr View Post
I just purchased a 98 tacoma and the previous owner smoked like crazy and the smell is over powering to me a non smoker. How do i go about flushing the smoke smell from the a/c / heater system? Also can i clean the headliner without fear of making it sag?
More than likely its the interior rather than the ac. They make a foam kit to flush out the ac housing and a spray to use in the ducts.

A good interior cleaning will help more than anything.
I used home made packs of coffee in dryer sheets all over the van I got after i cleaned it. Changed them about once a month. The smell is now gone. Took about a year. It doesn't go easily.
Hand wipe the headliner. Don't soak it. Rub easy.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
A good detail shop will have an ozone generator. They pump your truck interior with ozone for a specified amount of time and that supposedly removes/kills the smoke smell.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
A good detail shop will have an ozone generator. They pump your truck interior with ozone for a specified amount of time and that supposedly removes/kills the smoke smell.
The only problem with one of those is the smell it generates of it's own. We have one at the shop and I get sick on that smell it gives off. After the treatment you smell the ozone machine. I guess after a while it goes away but I don't know what smell is worse. I would rather mix up a batch of oderban and spray that around for a while..
Old 02-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say easiest and cheapest way to be to roll windows down and drive but living on the East Coast its freezing so I guess that wont work!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
1) turn heat on high

2) spray febreze into HVAC intake (black plastic with holes under your wipers)

3) drink beer

anything else is just a waste of your money IMO.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
The only problem with one of those is the smell it generates of it's own. We have one at the shop and I get sick on that smell it gives off. After the treatment you smell the ozone machine. I guess after a while it goes away but I don't know what smell is worse. I would rather mix up a batch of oderban and spray that around for a while..
I know what you mean about the smell of the ozone machine. I had one in my seafood dept. and it worked good at removing the odors but we were happy when it broke down.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
This works every time for me.

Spray all seats and cloth surfaces with Febreeze.
Take an 8 inch aluminum pie pan and fill it with black charcoal (PLAIN, not wood chip or fast light)
Sprinkle half a box of Arm and Hammer baking soda onto the charcoal.
Place pan on passenger's side floor board
Set A/C system on recirculate and the fan on high.
Let run for 30 minutes.

Removes odors, and leaves no scent at all.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #9
SeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: PO1
Name: James
SeminoleTRD's Tacoma Gallery
My dad used to smoke in my old truck. The coffee bean trick mentioned above works well, but it does take it's time. Shampoo the carpets and use fabric cleaner on the seats. I went through about 2 bottles of febreeze over time too. I have used that vent spray on other vehicles and I don't think it really worked. The febreeze in the HVAC sounds like a good idea, didn't think about that before.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I like
Old 03-25-2014, 04:06 AM   #11
Doug001 is on a distinguished road
Doug001's Tacoma Gallery
would changing the cabin filter help out?