1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Swirlies

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by ABA180, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Feb 22, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 [OP] It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I have a Porter Cable DA..what to use for removing swirl marks? I know there's a Meguiar's for instance..forget what kind..

2. Feb 22, 2014 at 2:32 PM
    Firenailer

Firenailer Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I've been using Mothers Hand Glaze on my black truck. Goes on and off pretty easy. Just apply by hand after waxing and no swirls.

3. Feb 22, 2014 at 4:04 PM
    Yeti75

Yeti75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC SB
    I would recommend Meguiars 205. It does a great job on swirls and you can finish it down pretty well. For a black vehicle you might want to get some Menzerna PO85RD for the final round if you are anal about your paint, but most likely 205 will do you right. I would try a test spot, or even a panel, and see how well you can work it down. If you think you need something finer, grab the Menzerna. The two are work great together. Am I a professional doin details on Ferrari's and Lambos? No, just someone who likes to take care of his own stuff. Meaning, you dont have to be a pro to work with these two products.

4. Feb 22, 2014 at 6:00 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    I really like the 3m products for polishing. I have used the stuff on every colour of car from probably every common make and it has always worked extremely well. I use it on my own truck all the time and the 3 stages kick ass. Never have issues with swirls even with a rotary on black vehicles.

http://3mcollision.com/products/buffing-and-polishing/high-performance-compounds-polishes

If you just want swirl remover I would grab the blue polish.

Make sure your using the correct pad only for a polish and only use one type of polish on a pad. Mixing different polishes with different grits on the same pad can cause problems.

5. Feb 23, 2014 at 12:39 PM
    Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Silver 09 TRD Sport
    Leer Cap Subfloor, water pump, marine battery, 45 gal water tank & plumbing to wash cars anywhere
    tons of options / combos. In my opinion, a pretty easy combo is meguiars microfiber cutting pads and megs d300 (microfiber compound - in their detailer line)

you can finish with m205 and that will be your easiest option. Doesn't always finish that well on black though. More often on dark paints I use something with diminishing abrasives like menzerna PF2500 or SF4000. Typically I use lake country white pads to polish

6. Feb 23, 2014 at 2:03 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 [OP] It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I have the Lake Country kit including the white pad..Heard good things about the 205 as well.

Truck is silver so that's easier than black at least.

7. Feb 23, 2014 at 7:28 PM
    spiralout462

spiralout462 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Shore VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 dclb
    Icon suspension '15 toyota nav TRD FJ SE anthracite wheels Weathertechs Trd pro pieces
    Wolfgang polishes are wonderful! They are super easy to work with and will produce mirror like reflections. Consider 5.5" low profile pads for your PC. They will allow the machine to operate at peak efficiency. I like Hydrotechs or flats.

8. Feb 24, 2014 at 7:47 PM
    Yeti75

Yeti75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC SB

I have a silver Tacoma and used the white Lake Country pads as well, but I have the Griots DA. White pad and 205, Menzerna PO85RD on a black pad if you're anal. I personally couldnt tell that much of a difference on the panel I 85'd after I 205'd and just saved myself the shoulder aches. Threw on some Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and topped it off with Pinnacle Signature Series II after letting it sit 12 hours. Love this combo for all colors!

Do a small area and check it out after the 205 and see if you think you need to finish it down more. If you do, just get a small bottle of 85 or one of the other finer polishes the above posters recommended. There are so many different flavors of polishes out there. Its like Baskin Robbins 31 flavors of ice cream.... just have to find the one that works for you and chow down!

9. Feb 28, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    spiralout462

spiralout462 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Shore VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 dclb
    Icon suspension '15 toyota nav TRD FJ SE anthracite wheels Weathertechs Trd pro pieces
    Well said Yeti! WDGPS and Pinnacle SSII is a tough combo to beat. M205 works well with my wifes Camry but doesn't finish as well on my black Taco.

10. Mar 7, 2014 at 6:03 PM
    TacoFlavouredKiss

TacoFlavouredKiss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    O CANADA
    Depends on how bad the swirls are but just use a polishing compound (light swirls) or a cutting compound (heavy swirlies) along with a suitable coloured pad

Products Discussed in

To Top