Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Vandals! Pranksters tried to glue my window shut!

Old 03-31-2014, 04:52 AM   #1
hippykiller is a glorious beacon of lighthippykiller is a glorious beacon of lighthippykiller is a glorious beacon of lighthippykiller is a glorious beacon of lighthippykiller is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Trav!
hippykiller's Tacoma Gallery
Vandals! Pranksters tried to glue my window shut!

I left my truck parked in a friends stall at his place while at work one day, when I got back to the truck there was a hardened substance on the seal that runs along the bottom of the driver door window.
It's some form of clear epoxy or glue or cement or something. I was able to scrape it off the lower part of the window though it tore part of that black seal. But there's some that dripped down the door and won't come off! I'm scared to scrape as I don't want to damage paint. I used goo-gone and junk like that. I tried a small bit of paintbrush cleaner, and gasoline without results.
Any ideas?
Old 03-31-2014, 05:12 AM   #2
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Kill them
Old 03-31-2014, 05:44 AM   #3
This....is my BOOMSTICK!
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoutheastTaco View Post
Kill them
X2. They just cost you a pretty significant amount of $ with a $2.00 tube of epoxy.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:53 AM   #4
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
That's just F-ed up. I hate people like that. They think it's funny and don't even have a clue about the consequences.
Anyway, you will probably have to take your truck to a body shop. Acetone will soften epoxy, but I won't use it on or near the paint.
Good luck OP. I hope you get it fixed.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
Leave it parked there again, hide and wait with a camera....or baseball bat with nails in it
Old 03-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
Go Pokes!
Pistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Pistol Pete's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on acetone for removing glue, but use very sparingly and do not let it set. I understand it will remove the clear coat. I used acetone to remove some excess superglue that made its way onto the paint one time. I applied a small amount to a q-tip directly to the glue and wiped it off immediately. The area was still shiny, so I assume it did not effect the clear coat. I followed up by applying wax to the treated area. Note this was a very small area that was exposed to the super glue and acetone.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:17 AM   #7
hippykiller is a glorious beacon of lighthippykiller is a glorious beacon of lighthippykiller is a glorious beacon of lighthippykiller is a glorious beacon of lighthippykiller is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Trav!
hippykiller's Tacoma Gallery
Is it possible it's actually attached or bonded itself to the paint? Maybe a driemel and super small sanding or brush end and a very steady hand... 3 beers steady but no more than 6, and a little bit of acetone and sand it off but stop before the paint. Probably do lots of destruction... Either way probably a body shop eh?
Old 04-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #8
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippykiller View Post
Is it possible it's actually attached or bonded itself to the paint? Maybe a driemel and super small sanding or brush end and a very steady hand... 3 beers steady but no more than 6, and a little bit of acetone and sand it off but stop before the paint. Probably do lots of destruction... Either way probably a body shop eh?
It sounds like you are about 99% sure to be heading to a body shop, so why not at least try to fix it yourself first without making it worse. The Q tip and acetone is a good idea but i would take it a step smaller and try soaking the tip of a toothpick in acetone
Old 04-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
use a blow dryer or heat gun to SLOWLY warm up the glue. It should be easy to remove with some goo-gone after that.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
Lost pilot is on a distinguished road
Name: Reid
Lost pilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippykiller View Post
Jeese.. Why not just take a sawzall to it?