Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Paint Job?

Old 04-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Yaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
Paint Job?

So I wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought I'd start here. My truck has been the victim of a hail storm and has multiple dings on the hood and roof. There are also some misc scratches and one dent on some body panels, mostly on the rear fenders.

I took it to a reputable local auto body for an estimate recently. He seems to think there are too many dings on the roof and hood for paintless dent removal. He also indicated that there are too many dings to use body filler on the hood. He pointed me to the following options:

A. Replace the hood and the roof (cut it out and replace it) and then have the rear end of the truck repainted.
B. Have the entire truck repainted.

He seemed to think that option 2 would be the best way to go as it's more comprehensive. However, he could not recommend any shops that would do a paint job on the entire truck.

I have two questions:
1. Does anyone know of a reputable shop that would paint the truck in the NJ/NY metro area?
2. Are there other options that I'm overlooking here?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
I would look for a second opinion personally. Our PDR guy has done lots of trucks with bad hail damage and they turned out well.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
vssman will become famous soon enoughvssman will become famous soon enough
vssman's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on having a paintless dent removal guy look at it. They can do wonders. You're a bit too far but I know of a guy in Prospect, CT that does great work.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Brakeman is on a distinguished road
Brakeman's Tacoma Gallery
I had my 2002 roof cut off at the pillars and replaced , after it got pancaked from ice sliding off a 3 story building . My shop did a great job , no problems.