Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Nerf Bar Coating

Old 04-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
Geo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
Geo Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Nerf Bar Coating

Question for those of you out there:
I have used the Rustoleum truck bed coating on my avid bars and they have not help up at all. I ran them over the summer and then sanded and reapplied where necessary before winter, but the coating is not holding up at all here.

Original prep included:
1) Clean bare metal
2) Use etch primer
3) 3 coats Rust-Oleum bedliner

Reapplication Prep:
1) Sand to bare metal
2) Clean
3) Etch primer
4) Apply 3 coats Rust-Oleum bedliner

I would like to hear what others think about Line-X, Herculiner, and Raptor Liner

I called local Line-X and they want $300 to spray them, which is a little rich for me.
Herculiner looks to be about $90 for a gallon + Kit which should be fine on coverage.
Raptor seems to run about $119 for the kit and again, coverage should be fine.

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone
Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
masshole taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Big Daddy
masshole taco's Tacoma Gallery
Ran into the same problems wiht my NFAB bars and westin bull bar.. sanded them down last summer sprayed them with bedliner and it looked great but when the new england winter hit them the paint came off and the rust was bigger and better then ever.. .I'm thinking of line'xing the wheel wells, nerf bars, and grill guard and seeing if I can talk the guy down a little bit..
Old 05-11-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
Jffrobo is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
Jffrobo's Tacoma Gallery
I just purchased the avid light bar and sliders which I applied Herculiner in my garage and could not be happier with results.Prep is the key.Scuff them coarsely and wipe down with xylol.I put three coats and let sit for a week and so far so good.Has a nice gloss finish and looks great.