Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Flat Black Vs Matte Black?

Old 04-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
Rude Boy |><|
Phantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Phantom_X-SP's Tacoma Gallery
Flat Black Vs Matte Black?

This is just a general question and I wasn't too sure where to post it.

What is the difference between "Flat Black" and "Matte Black" if any? I did some general surfing looking for an answer but couldn't find anything definite.

btw...I'm not painting my truck either colors (though it would probably look cool)...so no worries
Old 04-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Rude Boy |><|
Phantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yea...I hear a lot of people using both...I always wondered if there was a difference
Old 04-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
they are pretty similar but i believe the matte has a slightly glossier finnish... almost too slight to tell...

flat ---> matte ---> satin ---> semi-gloss ---> gloss
Old 04-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
there are also variations by brand
Old 04-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
Rude Boy |><|

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud122 View Post
they are pretty similar but i believe the matte has a slightly glossier finnish... almost too slight to tell...

flat ---> matte ---> satin ---> semi-gloss ---> gloss
That makes sense...though I read somewhere that matte was the "dullest", then flat, and so forth like you have listed. Was hoping to get something concrete to rest any uncertainties.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
Rude Boy |><|

anyone?
Old 04-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
My wife the artist tells me that flat has 0 luster and the matte finishes have a small bit of luster...but I find paint sites on the internet calling "flat" and "matte" the same thing. They say matte or flat...and then flat enamel, then eggshell, satin, semi-gloss, and gloss

There are different types of paints too...enamels, latex, oils, etc...and I think that matters too.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
NixXR462 will become famous soon enough
NixXR462's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom_X-SP View Post

btw...I'm not painting my truck either colors (though it would probably look cool)...so no worries
It does look good on a Tacoma, ecspecially a X-Runner.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
Rude Boy |><|

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
My wife the artist tells me that flat has 0 luster and the matte finishes have a small bit of luster...but I find paint sites on the internet calling "flat" and "matte" the same thing. They say matte or flat...and then flat enamel, then eggshell, satin, semi-gloss, and gloss

There are different types of paints too...enamels, latex, oils, etc...and I think that matters too.
Cool...that's some good info. Tell your wife I said thanks.

I agree that the two words are alternately used loosely...but so are many words in the English language.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #11
Rude Boy |><|

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixXR462 View Post
Thats hott
Old 04-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
that xrunner looks bad ass
Old 04-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
TX
TEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TEX357's Tacoma Gallery
That X-runner looks sickk!!
Old 04-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #15
life11 is on a distinguished road

life11's Tacoma Gallery
sooo which kind of paint should i use for badgeing flat or matte???
suggestions???
Old 04-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #17
life11 is on a distinguished road

life11's Tacoma Gallery
ok, thanks man
Old 08-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #18
Jetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Patrol Division
Name: Carlos
Jetta1cab's Tacoma Gallery
So I've been viewing several YouTube videos on this and reading articles from various searches for Matte black, flat black, and satin black applications on vehicles. I am really considering going with the 3M matte black vinyl wrap on my DC PreRunner.

Here's some of what I've been viewing:
Part 1 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VJ-h...eature=related

Part 2 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-o81...eature=related

Final -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZenXF...eature=related

Vinyl application example -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MQC3...eature=related

My opinion is that a quality finished product is pure sex... This is a hot mod! I'm going to get quotes from some of the local sign shops this coming week.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #19
Jetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Patrol Division
Name: Carlos
Jetta1cab's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixXR462 View Post
Sickness +1
Old 08-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #20
wmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nice
wmb67's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta1cab View Post
So I've been viewing several YouTube videos on this and reading articles from various searches for Matte black, flat black, and satin black applications on vehicles. I am really considering going with the 3M matte black vinyl wrap on my DC PreRunner.

Here's some of what I've been viewing:
Part 1 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VJ-h...eature=related

Part 2 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-o81...eature=related

Final -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZenXF...eature=related

Vinyl application example -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MQC3...eature=related

My opinion is that a quality finished product is pure sex... This is a hot mod! I'm going to get quotes from some of the local sign shops this coming week.

Would you post up some of your quotes? I'm just wondering how much a vehicle wrap costs.