Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

post badge removal - faded paint or more gunk?

Old 04-20-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
beedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shed

beedoola's Tacoma Gallery
post badge removal - faded paint or more gunk?

I took all the badges off my taco (01' pre runner).

The two tailgate spots - the Toyota, and Tacoma Prerunner still have some shadow/outlines let.

I took a clay bar to the spots after removing the badges and got all the visible gunk - from the adhesive off, and the spots look clean, but in certain light or when you step way from the tailgate, you still see "Toyota" faintly.

Did I not give the spots enough elbow grease, or is that as good as it's going to get because the tailgate paint is slightly faded? - and the spots under the badges aren't.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedoola View Post
I took all the badges off my taco (01' pre runner).

The two tailgate spots - the Toyota, and Tacoma Prerunner still have some shadow/outlines let.

I took a clay bar to the spots after removing the badges and got all the visible gunk - from the adhesive off, and the spots look clean, but in certain light or when you step way from the tailgate, you still see "Toyota" faintly.

Did I not give the spots enough elbow grease, or is that as good as it's going to get because the tailgate paint is slightly faded? - and the spots under the badges aren't.

This. You can still very, very, very faintly still see my "SR5" next to the rear quarter window.

Over time it keeps fading as more UV hits that paint that used to be under the badge.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
A7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
A7xschecter6661's Tacoma Gallery
If it's an 01 it's faded.

If it was only a few years old you might get away with no fade
Old 04-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
27Tacoma is on a distinguished road
27Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
It's faded. A good detailer may be able to blend the paint with a wheel and cutting compound/polish.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
beedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shed

beedoola's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the SR5 came out pretty good. The tailgate ones seem to be the most visible. I'll just have to deal with it. No biggie.

Yes, its an 01