Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Media blasting alloy wheels

Old 04-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Media blasting alloy wheels

I have a set of stock Tacoma (95-00) alloy wheels that I am going to sandblast prior to painting.

My question is: the back side of the rims are not going to be maintained much at all once back on the truck. If I media blast the surface then paint them... which will no doubt get chipped, etc... will the media blasted alloy surface then be prone to rust/corrosion?

Or is a blasted surface no different than how the alloys come stock?

Sorry if this is not in the correct forum.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
TYetti is on a distinguished road

Name: Mat
TYetti's Tacoma Gallery
When I blast wheels, I blast the entire thing(front face,barrel,rear) its easier because there will be over spray on the other areas it also give whatever coating you'rr going to apply a good bondable surface. Just be aware that unless you are powder coating you will need to do several coats to fill the texture left by the blasting, blasting won't specifically cause alloy wheels to corrode faster if you have exposed surfaces they will eventually do so.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYetti View Post
When I blast wheels, I blast the entire thing(front face,barrel,rear) its easier because there will be over spray on the other areas it also give whatever coating you'rr going to apply a good bondable surface. Just be aware that unless you are powder coating you will need to do several coats to fill the texture left by the blasting, blasting won't specifically cause alloy wheels to corrode faster if you have exposed surfaces they will eventually do so.
Thank you.

Ironic this thread pops up now.

I tried cleaning and scuffing the wheels I have and it's impossible.

The backside has so much brake dust on it that I can't get to the surface. I even used a wire brush attachment on the end of my drill.

Plus one of the wheels was painted with silver wheel paint, and I can barely get that off with the red Scotch brite pad I have. And I'm afraid to use the wire brush in fear of put in swirl marks that will be visible under the paint.

So now I'm back to calling on media blasters in the area and see what they recommend. What do you use for the media? I've heard glass beads is what's best for alloy wheels. Thoughts?