1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I sand powder coating?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by eazyrider711, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Jun 1, 2014 at 4:47 PM
    eazyrider711

eazyrider711 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    I have two questions related to some rock sliders I just got my hands on. They are already powder coated and in practically new condition, but have some chipped/flaking from getting banged up in transport. I don't care since the chips are on the underside and my research here pretty much says to patch up with Rustoleum Hammered Metal Finish. (side note, I'm going to paint the skid plate with the same Hammered Metal finish) My main concern is to account for any possible issues with rust and keep it fairly clean.

1. Should I sand down the banged up parts before painting over? I don't want to damage the powder coat, but not sure what I need to do to make sure the Rustoleum sticks. Note: there isn't any surface rust on the dinged up parts, its all very clean/new.

2. Should I worry about any surface rust on the frame before bolting on? My truck has been through one New England winter and has some nice surface rust on the frame already. Do I need to address this prior to bolting on the sliders? If so, can I get by with a power wash and Rustoleum matte black or do I need to do something fancy?

I don't want to "trap" any rust that may get worse and cause issues, but I don't want to go pay someone hundreds of bucks to clean up the frame after less than a year.

As always, thanks in advance for all the help and info. :)

trlfrk likes this.
  2. Jun 2, 2014 at 12:25 PM
    eazyrider711

eazyrider711 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    image (6).jpg

Here is a close up of the damage. I think I'm not gonna sand it and just cover it up with the hammered finish Rustoleum.

3. Jul 29, 2014 at 10:43 AM
    billyrayaf

billyrayaf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    billy
    waynesville,nc
    Vehicle:
    silver 09 SR5
    6in tuff country, 3.0 king coilovers, crown 7+ brake lines,LR UCA
    Do not paint over powder coat that makes no sense. And yes you should address the frame rust prior im doing the same thing now. It just takes time. The rust will spread everywhere if not taken care of.

4. Jul 29, 2014 at 10:52 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    You can paint over powdercoat. You cannot powdercoat over paint. Unless you plan on sending it to be re-powdercoated you really don't have any choice.

Use this to paint it. It's best stuff out there for over the counter. You can get it at Advanced Auto Parts as well as a bunch of other places. https://www.duplicolor.com/products/truckBedCoating/

trlfrk likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top