Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Son of a... Repair cut seat fabric?

Old 07-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
MuddyTRD is on a distinguished road

MuddyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Son of a... Repair cut seat fabric?

So I was opening a brand new package of ratchet straps today, and either I did too good sharpening my knife or the zip ties were really soft. My knife zipped right through the first one... and across the side bolster of my drivers seat. Put a nice 1" slice in the fabric. Anyone have any suggestions on fixing that? Patch from the back? Whole new cover?
Edit to add pic.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
upholstery shop first...see what is....fabric is tough to fix, but a good shop can at least repair it with a careful hand reweave....you will be able to see it even when fixed, but only very slightly if the seamstress/seamer is really good...they will have to remove the cover to repair properly...
Old 07-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Try to find somebody that has Clazzio's or some other companies product and see if they would sell their stock upholstery? Just a thought.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:55 PM   #4

Both good suggestions, I'll be pursuing both. Its a 2014. Its not very visible I'm just worried about it ripping more because of location.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #5

Over $400 just for the upper seat fabric from the dealership, that ain't happening.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
Can you remove the seat cover and patch it from behind. Maybe one of those iron on patches from the back that your mom used to use on a pair of jeans???
Old 07-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
people on here sell their originals all the time, search for sale section.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #8
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
upholstery shop first...see what is....fabric is tough to fix, but a good shop can at least repair it with a careful hand reweave....you will be able to see it even when fixed, but only very slightly if the seamstress/seamer is really good...they will have to remove the cover to repair properly...
+1

Basically get a matching thread and run a very tight baseball stitch. It'll keep it from spreading and not be noticeable unless you are looking for it.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #9
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
+1

Basically get a matching thread and run a very tight baseball stitch. It'll keep it from spreading and not be noticeable unless you are looking for it.
^^ This ^^

You will be the only one that ever notices it.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:51 AM   #10

At the very least the patch from behind idea should help from further damage, I'll see if I can try to sew it but I would probably botch that job. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 07-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #11
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
I have a friend that installs Katskin leather on new toyotas for the dealership, I'm sure he has the piece you're looking for. I'll check it out, haven't talked to him for a while, I'll get a hold of him and let you know. Is your truck a TRD off road or sport or SR5? Could you take a larger pic of complete seat? Also another friend of mine bought a take of set new Toyota seat covers, he sold his Tacoma, but I think he still has the Toyota seat covers for sale cheap.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #12
PROHIBITION11 is a splendid one to beholdPROHIBITION11 is a splendid one to beholdPROHIBITION11 is a splendid one to beholdPROHIBITION11 is a splendid one to beholdPROHIBITION11 is a splendid one to beholdPROHIBITION11 is a splendid one to beholdPROHIBITION11 is a splendid one to behold
PROHIBITION11's Tacoma Gallery
were did you find that kit at