Well, this was my attempt to paint my engine cover. Keep in mind, I have always been a half decent painter but I screwed this up BAD!
1. I removed the engine cover and scrubbed it down with dawn dish washing liquid and very hot water. This worked great since dawn is designed to break up grease. The hot water helped too. I was careful not to get the insulation underneath wet.
2. Next I sprayed a coat of black primer and then sanded it down (mistake #1-I used 100 grit, far too harsh, scratched the shit out of it). Sprayed another coat of primer to help fill the scratches in.
3. Next, I taped off the black area so I could paint the outer sections. (Mistake #2-I used just the masking tape to cover the area. The paint bled through some). I then sprayed on some paint adhesive, two coats as instructed on the can. Then my first couple coats of silver paint. (Mistake #3- Paint lid was for Gloss Grey but the label on the back, which I didn't check said MATTE!!)
4. I let the first couple coats dry and added a couple more. I allowed those to dry for a while and then did a couple of clear coats.
5. I taped off the grey area and painted the inside part. (Mistake #4-The grey was apparently not dried enough, the tape streaked it.) (Mistake #5-While I was upstairs the dog "checked" it out and left a nice streak on his legs.)
6. I spent the next 3 hours sanding and repainting the damaged area. Then did several more coats of clear coat. (Final Mistake-I did one of the coats with the can too close and left a couple defects.) Now, that is the last mistake unless it catches on fire tomorrow when I put it back on the truck.
If this saves you from making some serious FU$(%&^ mistakes, then have some pity and give me some rep points.