LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

How NOT to paint your engine cover.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
badguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police (95B)
badguybuster's Tacoma Gallery
How NOT to paint your engine cover.

Well, this was my attempt to paint my engine cover. Keep in mind, I have always been a half decent painter but I screwed this up BAD!

1. I removed the engine cover and scrubbed it down with dawn dish washing liquid and very hot water. This worked great since dawn is designed to break up grease. The hot water helped too. I was careful not to get the insulation underneath wet.

2. Next I sprayed a coat of black primer and then sanded it down (mistake #1-I used 100 grit, far too harsh, scratched the shit out of it). Sprayed another coat of primer to help fill the scratches in.

3. Next, I taped off the black area so I could paint the outer sections. (Mistake #2-I used just the masking tape to cover the area. The paint bled through some). I then sprayed on some paint adhesive, two coats as instructed on the can. Then my first couple coats of silver paint. (Mistake #3- Paint lid was for Gloss Grey but the label on the back, which I didn't check said MATTE!!)

4. I let the first couple coats dry and added a couple more. I allowed those to dry for a while and then did a couple of clear coats.

5. I taped off the grey area and painted the inside part. (Mistake #4-The grey was apparently not dried enough, the tape streaked it.) (Mistake #5-While I was upstairs the dog "checked" it out and left a nice streak on his legs.)

6. I spent the next 3 hours sanding and repainting the damaged area. Then did several more coats of clear coat. (Final Mistake-I did one of the coats with the can too close and left a couple defects.) Now, that is the last mistake unless it catches on fire tomorrow when I put it back on the truck.

If this saves you from making some serious FU$(%&^ mistakes, then have some pity and give me some rep points.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
It looks really good to me. Anyways it will be under the hood. only you and another handful will be looking at it
Old 04-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
SoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SoCalBlack08's Tacoma Gallery
i think it came out nice. i like the way u left the center black, it gives it a sporty look.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:31 AM   #6
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
It looks good to me too man. The cool thing about cars though, is that if you mess up, you can always try again.

That cover does look fantastic though, even if you made some mistakes!
Old 04-12-2009, 05:20 AM   #9
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
it looks fine badguy. i did the same thing to my toolbox.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:49 AM   #10
Danzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Danzer's Tacoma Gallery
Looks sharp I like the black.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #11
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
it came out good in the end, and you learned a few things. painting is 90% prep work, 10% painting...im sure you've heard that before though.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #12
Creedmoor Connections
carolinyens will become famous soon enough
carolinyens's Tacoma Gallery
If you want some good ideas go to the xru site and search engine covers. Theres a lot of different ideas that ppl have done over there.

PS It doesnt look bad. You know you can always take it off and do it over with another can.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:46 AM   #13
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
Ty's Taco's Tacoma Gallery
If I may add to your list I also learned the hard way a few lessons about painting the engine cover. Use Krylon spray for your paint because my auto parts store only had duli-color spray in the color I wanted and it wont stick even with three coats of clear coat. I even had to try to touch it up after it stuck to the painters tape when I removed it. By the way yes I did sand it down with 800 to just rough up the surface before painting but no good.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #15
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
imo just keep your hood closed and you will be fine.sorry.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:03 AM   #16
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
That looks badass! I'm thinking of painting mine to match the factory color.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #17
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Dude THAT THING SUCKS ASS!! Just kidding bro, I think it looks really good to. you will probably be the only person to pick out the imperfections. Quit being so hard on yourself.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #18
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
looks pretty kickass to me man!! nice job!! like the color combo too!!
Old 04-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #19
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
looks good, after all the work, it came out right i think