1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3M Stripe Off Wheel Question

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Clay1193, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Jul 18, 2014 at 7:12 AM
    Clay1193

Clay1193 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm planning on debadging my truck this weekend.

I've done it in the past with some degree of success (there were some noticeable blemishes, scratches, etc.), but I wanted to get someone's opinion and, more importantly, how-to using the 3M Stripe Off Wheel.

I've seen enough videos to know that after I remove the plastic factory badges, I use the wheel to remove the 3M adhesive tape behind it. I assume, once complete, that you simply wash and wax the area.

What about the TRD stickers on the side of the bed? Do you run the 3M wheel directly over the sticker OR do you have to peel the sticker off and then use the wheel on the remaining adhesive? I found a video where a guy was removing graphics off the side of his RV using the wheel, but wasn't sure if that was a good idea.

Figured I'd reach out to you all and get your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jul 19, 2014 at 9:40 AM
    Clay1193

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    Nothing, huh?

Ok.

3. Jul 19, 2014 at 9:44 AM
    SD2GATaco

SD2GATaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RYAN
    OAKWOOD, GA
    You don't need something that aggressive. Use fishing line or something strong and thin like that to take off the emblems. Then simply just push the remaining tape off with your fingers. The stickers can most likely be pulled off then use goo gone to remove the remaining adhesive. Just my 2cents..

4. Jul 19, 2014 at 9:50 AM
    Guerrilla

Guerrilla L(.)(.)K@G(.)(.)Dz

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff

I wouldn't use the wheel on top of your TRD stickers.. My advice would be use a heat gun and if you don't have that, use a hair dryer.. Heat the area by making small little circle motions, it will loosen the adhesive and you'll be able to get them off, shouldn't be too big of a deal for you (might even come up in one piece since they're pretty new).. I just think doing it with a heat source will be better for that particular sticker. I think that wheel works good for pinstripes and remaining adhesives, not saying it wouldn't work on the TRD ones tho. Heat guns your best bet tho.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  5. Jul 19, 2014 at 1:49 PM
    Clay1193

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    Appreciate the input.

I've done the fishing line/hair dryer thing before. I used Turtle Wax aerosol adhesive remover and it worked well enough.

I was looking for a faster way, but it sounds like a little elbow grease and patience (which I lack) is still the best way.

Thanks

6. Jul 19, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    meatman

meatman I deal with dead animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Murphy N.C.
    Vehicle:
    (built) 04 Tacoma SR5 4x4 and 01 TRD 4x4 DD
    I have used this type of wheel to remove all the stickers from a police interceptor, the only ones it did not work well on is the reflective stripes. I also removed my bedside decals from my truck using this with no adverse affects.

7. Jul 19, 2014 at 2:27 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Lift or score a small section of the decal then use plenty of this [​IMG]and your fingernails to remove the decal first, then adhesive.

8. Jul 19, 2014 at 2:38 PM
    tommymac

tommymac Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Northern MN
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB Sport
    I like Guerrilla's response. His aviator is kinda good too! I've removed a lot of decals in my day, mostly from Gelcoat. Use a hair dryer in a curcular motion to get it started. Once you get a corner started go slow peeling off the decal. Try not to rip it into more than one piece, no big deal if you do. After is is removed go after the left over glue with 3M Adhesive Remover (you can buy it at a good auto parts store). When removing the glue try use a good terry cloth towel, a old white cotton sock works good, be sure to "turn" the cloth often; using a fresh unused portion often. It may take a bit but you won't have any scratches or marks when done. Hope it helps and good luck!
    EDIT: I see someone beat me to it on the 3M stuff.

9. Jul 19, 2014 at 9:25 PM
    Guerrilla

Guerrilla L(.)(.)K@G(.)(.)Dz

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff
    Well I really think the faster way is by heating it first. Yearsss ago I was in the auto body trade and had to do things like that on a regular basis. I've used the wheel and the heat guns too. Each has it's pros in cons. Really it comes down to a couple of things, the quality and type of sticker or stripe etc. And how long it's been on the vehicle, the UV rays will cause them to become brittle over time, those are the ones that tend to be a pain. The reason I think the heat gun approach maybe better in your case is, it's a fairly new sticker, and it should be a good quality. Having said that, if you can heat it to a certain temp the adhesives will loosen and a lot of times (if it's a good sticker and fairly new) it will literally come up in one piece pretty quick. With something that size it could be a matter of a few minutes and it's off. And like others mentioned after take some adhesive remover and clean it up if needed.

The wheel I used to get pinstripes off mostly and it worked well. Also left over adhesives from emblems etc.

Thanks man :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top