1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hail Damage Advice

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by NM Lance, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Aug 10, 2014 at 4:42 PM
    NM Lance

NM Lance [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I recently purchased a brand new 2014 TRD 4 door 4X4... my first brand new truck. On a trip through central New Mexico, I drove through a BAD hail storm with no where to take cover... not even 2k miles on it!!! I managed to get through it with all my glass intact, but the hood and roof are destroyed. Has anyone out there ever dealt with a "paintless dent removal" facility? If so, were you happy, or at least satisfied, with the results? Insurance cut a check for me, but I would rather keep the money unless a shop can make it look brand new again, in which case I will gladly pay for it.

2. Aug 10, 2014 at 7:09 PM
    mdcmn7

mdcmn7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    We just had a hella bad hail storm up here in PA they were totaling out cars left and right

Aulthough my cars/taco were spared, many of my neighbors and co workers were hammered

The body shops seemed to do a great job. Some parts like hoods and trunk lids were replaced. While others had skins done or simply dent removal

Most cars seemed to be back to 99%

I would suggest finding a good reputable shop, either check with friends/neighbors or even your insurance company.

Can't speak for dent less shops specifically, but a good body shop should fix you up.

3. Aug 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    Bought an Acura TL and the same day got hail damage like you wouldn't believe. I took it back to the dealership and they sourced it out to a place that did paint less dent removal and my insurance paid for it. It looked perfectly fine after.

4. Aug 10, 2014 at 9:14 PM
    NM Lance

NM Lance [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks guys for your input! I think you have made my mind... off to a body shop. I hope they replace my hood, maybe I can get a Sport model hood with a hood scoop.

Sorry to hear about your vehicles! An Acura on the first day??? I would have lost my mind over that.

5. Aug 11, 2014 at 3:05 AM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    They most likely will not replace you hood but it should be fine. It should look good as new. However if after the fact it doesn't and you are not satisfied. Get that insurance to replace the hood and anything needed to make it perfect.
    Yeah my TL made me disgusted when it happened. It was the only time in my life I had even seen hail haha

Products Discussed in

To Top