1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to remove calcium deposit on glass?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by pruchai, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Sep 26, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I see no vendors going to the international glass show that call themselves the "Chemical Guys"? I just searched the list. I'm currently spending today researching vendors I want to visit about importing/distributing products for so I'm fairly certain my vendors list is up to date and some burn outs from CA won't be there, but who knows.

Ill look for them when I am in Germany next month at the conference, but pretty sure they won't be there LMAO.

2. Sep 26, 2014 at 10:37 AM
    Ripper

Ripper Well-Known Member

Member:
    NO S̶O̶U̶P̶ GLASS FOR YOU!

3. Sep 26, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Maybe these guys say you should use clay on glass?

http://www.glasswebsite.com/

nope... , but what would the Glass Association of North America know... Idiots I say :rolleyes:

or PPG...what would they know about cleaning glass http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...el3cdQLeeZT-vIhfDXHJ_WA&bvm=bv.76247554,d.aWw

enough not to use clay

You can fall into the trap of the clay dealers or trust the people who work with glass for a living like myself. I make nothing off what I advise. Even worse I try to tell people how to properly care for their glass thus losing sales unlike clay dealers who only try to sell you crap based off horrible info.

No where on ANY glass manufacturers website will you find them telling you it's OK to use steel wool or clay on it.

I just posed this question to our head engineer and he literally started laughing... he said I though you were smarter than to tell people to drag dirt across glass. I then showed him this chain of e-mails and he said what I always do concerning bad sub contractors... we can't fix stupied but we can sell them more glass when they screw it up.

4. Sep 29, 2014 at 10:53 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Sooooooooooooooooooo tired of detail guys saying it's cool to use clay on glass so I wrote some e-mails last week to question the guys who make it:

Griots Glass Cleaning Clay: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/glass+cleaning+clay.do#question/1533059

My question is the last one. No one has answered me even though they did e-mail me. Seems weird..?.. wonder if they are trying to make up a good answer for me.?.

Diamondite Glass Cleaning Clay: http://www.diamondite.com/product-line/diamondite-glass-bundle.html

Has yet to respond to me.

Both e-mails were sent with my signature from my workplace (glass manufacturer) so I doubt they will even answer me.

Here is what I sent Diamondite:

"I get posed questions almost weekly on how to properly clean glass and the new item I am being asked about is clay like yours. I do not recommend using anything to wipe across the surface of the glass until it is hosed off and any cleaners I do recommend be wiped across the glass are in liquid form and have optical polishing agents in them. When I tell my customers not to use clay they send me links to products like yours and I’m left being the man in the middle.

How does your clay not fill in the voids/surface imperfections in the glass?

No glass association recommends the use of clay on glass. How can you recommend it be used when GANA (Glass Association of North America) is the controlling body in North America and does not recommend it’s use?

No known automobile windshield manufacturer lists clay as a safe way to clean glass. Again – how can you make this claim?

I just want something truthful to tell my customers. We aren’t talking about $200 windshields here – we are talking about custom laminated decorative glass costing tens of thousands of dollars per lite.

Sincerely,

XXXX"

5. Sep 30, 2014 at 6:56 AM
    10ptXtreme

10ptXtreme Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    Since you claim to be some "expert", share with us your credentials and what makes you so special. Otherwise you're full of crap.

David

6. Sep 30, 2014 at 7:08 AM
    JDHy2021

JDHy2021 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC TRD Off Road
    Avital 4103LX Remote Start, Entune w/ Navigation HU mod.
    I use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Works like a charm, very easy to apply. My only advice would be to shake it up vigorously before every application. The somewhat-abrasive materials will settle to the bottom of the bottle. Just be sure you wipe every last bit of the dry-ish, crusted compound off, then use a 1:1 mixture of rubbing alcohol and water in a spray bottle to take off the haze if there is any. Usually I'll finish all this with Invisible Glass and newspaper. You'll think you're driving with all the windows down.

7. Sep 30, 2014 at 9:23 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I can show you in person since you live in my state. Anytime you want to stop by my house or work PM me.

I am a third generation glazier. I have been working with glass for almost 30 years (20 professionally). Last large job I had a hand in when I was a sub was he PA Convention Center (14million dollar glazing package). After over a decade of being an estimator and PM for union companies in Philly I got tired of the rat race and 2 years ago I started up a new department selling secure entrances for a premier international glass fabricator/manufacturer.

I am currently finishing up the last stages of supplying all the elevator lobby doors in Tower 4 and the Freedom Tower.

So now what makes you special? Do you eat clay on a regular basis or smoke it, or just like to call people out? Inquiring minds want to know.

TacomJ2016 likes this.
  8. Sep 30, 2014 at 9:25 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
  9. Sep 30, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    10ptXtreme

10ptXtreme Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    First, don't count on me stopping by anytime soon. If you're anything like how you come across on TW, you're the typical NJ arrogant asswipe that I've come to despise. And the main reason I hate living in this state. Maybe you're not the prick you portray yourself to be, but that's not how you come across. Second, you asked for one source that recommends using clay on glass; I gave you one. And then you bitch that the source is not up to your standards. Now maybe, just maybe you know what you're talking about. But your message is lost because your tone and attitude of your posts is one of an asshole. Personally, use whatever you like and you feel works for you.

Have a great day!

David

To Top