Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

How to remove calcium deposit on glass?

Old 09-09-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
pruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pruchai's Tacoma Gallery
How to remove calcium deposit on glass?

I bought a used shell few weeks ago, and it looks like the truck it was on on the shell itself has been sitting for a while and glass has some calcium deposits like on shower doors.

I've tried couple of glass cleaners from the autoparts store and tried 50/50 water and white vinegar mix. it helped a little bit, but the stains are still there and visible.

How do i clean that stuff? Is it Ok to gently polish the glass with some kind of smooth compound?
Old 09-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
PeeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Everybody will tell you not to do what I do, but I use a razor blade. I've never scratched glass or paint.

That said, my windshield and passenger side cab/hood are covered in calcium deposits from the sprinklers, so I'm game to find out a better/more efficient method too.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
Miley loves you
302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

302's Tacoma Gallery
Edge of an old credit card or hotel room key, works every time.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
Miley loves you
302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

302's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeRunner View Post
Everybody will tell you not to do what I do, but I use a razor blade. I've never scratched glass or paint.

That said, my windshield and passenger side cab/hood are covered in calcium deposits from the sprinklers, so I'm game to find out a better/more efficient method too.
They sell plastic razor blades which would be ideal for your situation.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/230756221984?nav=SEARCH

Old 09-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #6
Cjanik is on a distinguished road
Name: Chase
Cjanik's Tacoma Gallery
Clay bar will work, ive done it before.

In vegas (we have very hard water), I use Calcium,Lime,Rust (CLR). just be careful to only get it on the non-tinted side and dont let it spill down into the rubber surround. I'm not sure if it would damage anything or not.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #7
Sgt Jmack is on a distinguished road
Marines: Sgt DAV/VFW
Name: Jeremiah
Sgt Jmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruchai View Post
I bought a used shell few weeks ago, and it looks like the truck it was on on the shell itself has been sitting for a while and glass has some calcium deposits like on shower doors.

I've tried couple of glass cleaners from the autoparts store and tried 50/50 water and white vinegar mix. it helped a little bit, but the stains are still there and visible.

How do i clean that stuff? Is it Ok to gently polish the glass with some kind of smooth compound?
You can get hard water spots off easily. It takes a little rubbing compound or clay bar. I like scratch out. Be sure to work in small areas though and you can apply more pressure on the glass than you would the paint.

Wait a minute, I just re-read the post. Are the windows plastic or glass? If they are plastic, they will come off using the same/similar product that some people use on their head lights to remove the deposites and swirl marks as well as a fine compound.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
TheWarthog is on a distinguished road

Army: Convoy Security, veteran
Name: Justin
TheWarthog's Tacoma Gallery
I get the same crap up on my windows up here in Sacramento. Dude at the carwash said they do it with hydro chloric acid. Haven't tried the clr or clay bar... Vinegar/water solution doesn't do crap.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #9
Tacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shelby
Tacoma.Gal's Tacoma Gallery
We use Bar Keepers Friend (cleanser and polish) it's the powdered form that comes in a container like comet used to. Mix it with some water to create a paste as well as making sure the window is wet, rub it on with a soft cloth, works awesome!! But make sure not to get it on paint or to rinse it off good (it's grainy).
Old 09-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #10
Sgt Jmack is on a distinguished road
Marines: Sgt DAV/VFW
Name: Jeremiah
Sgt Jmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarthog View Post
I get the same crap up on my windows up here in Sacramento. Dude at the carwash said they do it with hydro chloric acid. Haven't tried the clr or clay bar... Vinegar/water solution doesn't do crap.
Stay away from HCA. Stay farther away from swirl-O-matics. Hand wash your car.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #11
TheWarthog is on a distinguished road

Army: Convoy Security, veteran
Name: Justin
TheWarthog's Tacoma Gallery
The spots are from the hard water from my hose at home
Old 09-19-2014, 09:17 AM   #12
Tacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma.Gal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shelby
Tacoma.Gal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarthog View Post
The spots are from the hard water from my hose at home
You shouldn't have too much of a problem if you shammy your truck when you're done washing it.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #13
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
0000 steel wool. It's what I use to clean my windows when I wash my truck. Won't scratch, takes care of all the crap that builds up on the glass.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #14
mcdee is a jewel in the roughmcdee is a jewel in the roughmcdee is a jewel in the rough
Name: mike
mcdee's Tacoma Gallery
Klasse All-In-One works for me, it's non-abrasive but expensive if used for windows only.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #16
novanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
novanut21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalot View Post

x2 I have used this and the sealer they sell as well. It is alittle messy because its a white liquid I recommend using it before you wash your truck or be ready to rinse it off your camper shell.