Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Waxing rims and windows?

Old 09-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
jmichael99 is on a distinguished road
jmichael99's Tacoma Gallery
Waxing rims and windows?

I don't own a tacoma...yet.... hopeful this week.. we will see

Anyway, I know some people wax their rims because they are clear coated. is this true for the tacoma?

also, i always use rain x on all windows and headlights, brake lights, etc. Anyone ever used wax? iv read where people have did it and it lasts longer than rain x. any thoughts on this?
Old 09-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
68vert is on a distinguished road

68vert's Tacoma Gallery
I wax my rims and headlights. I figure if it keeps my paint from oxidizing, hopefully it'll do the same for my headlights. Wax on the wheels makes em easier to clean. Why not? It takes only an extra few minutes
Old 09-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
Lone Star Club
whahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jimbob
whahahajr's Tacoma Gallery
Waxing the windshield is like cheap rain-x. Would not hurt the wheels. But from what I've seen you would not want to get it on the plastic headlamps. It will actually cause oxidation. They make stuff for plastics.

Unless they have a clear coat.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
68vert is on a distinguished road

68vert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whahahajr View Post
Waxing the windshield is like cheap rain-x. Would not hurt the wheels. But from what I've seen you would not want to get it on the plastic headlamps. It will actually cause oxidation. They make stuff for plastics.

Hmmmm..........those plastic headlight restorer kits tell you to wax after buffing to keep the headlights from hazing over again. I always waxed my headlights on my 05 since day 1 and they looked spankin new till the day I sold the truck last year. Just my experience.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
PeeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vert View Post
Hmmmm..........those plastic headlight restorer kits tell you to wax after buffing to keep the headlights from hazing over again. I always waxed my headlights on my 05 since day 1 and they looked spankin new till the day I sold the truck last year. Just my experience.
The new surface needs to be sealed.

Wax away, OEM headlights IIRC have similar treatments. Unprotected plastic oxidizes very quickly.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whahahajr View Post

Rain-X is carnuba wax. Carnuba wax is found in most waxes available at any store.

Rain-X is just a brand and tries to market itself as a different product than what it is, for brand recognition and profit. Like Coca Cola has done with cola.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Never waxed the windows but always wax the headlights... No problems yet
Old 09-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
I like bright things.
thunderone will become famous soon enough

thunderone's Tacoma Gallery
if you use a synthetic wax (like Zaino which is liquid gold btw) then you can put it on pretty much everything. It works great for headlights and even rubber weather stripping. Hell I'd put it on my tires if I could. And I also put it on the windows. The water doesn't "fly off" quite as well off the glass as it does with rain-x, but it definitely lasts longer. It also helps to get a jug of the rain-x washer fluid (or any other washer fluid that advertises water repellant treatment) instead of the cheap stuff. The cheap stuff will eat the rain-x or wax treatment right off your windshield. No bueno.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #9

I haven't used LineX in a decade, but I think part of the water "fly off" as you wrote is because they use a copolymer additive that makes a very slick surface.

Could be totally wrong though.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #10
STOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to all
STOCKTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I use this on my wheels. Its safe for clear coated wheels. Works great.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #11
I like bright things.
thunderone will become famous soon enough

thunderone's Tacoma Gallery
Rim wax.... lulz
Old 10-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
15bluetaco has much to be proud of15bluetaco has much to be proud of15bluetaco has much to be proud of15bluetaco has much to be proud of15bluetaco has much to be proud of15bluetaco has much to be proud of15bluetaco has much to be proud of15bluetaco has much to be proud of15bluetaco has much to be proud of
15bluetaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STOCKTRD View Post
I use this on my wheels. Its safe for clear coated wheels. Works great.

Ditto. This stuff works. You cant use any natural wax for wheels. It gets hot and the wax melts and the hot brake dust and grime will stick more than if it was bare. Rim wax is synthetic.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #13
TRD2009SPORT is on a distinguished road

TRD2009SPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the great info I just purchased my first Tacoma a month ago
I had been looking for one the past 9 months and pulled the trigger when
I found the right one, it's been a great truck.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #14
TRD2009SPORT is on a distinguished road

TRD2009SPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I'm also a new member and still trying to post a pic of
My new Toy if someone can give me some pointers on
How to post pics please let me know how to go about it.
Thanks.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:11 AM   #15
Alloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Andrew
Alloutdrs1's Tacoma Gallery
I apply Klasse to my windows and a synthetic wax to the rims, works very well. With the Klasse on the windows they bead up really well and I feel like my rims stay cleaner longer when waxed.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:24 AM   #17
Merry Christmas, Ya Filthy Animal...
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeRunner View Post
Rain-X is carnuba wax. Carnuba wax is found in most waxes available at any store.

Rain-X is just a brand and tries to market itself as a different product than what it is, for brand recognition and profit. Like Coca Cola has done with cola.
That's incorrect. Rain-x is a silicone polymer, not carnauba wax.

I generally wax my wheels, headlights, & mirrors and apply rain-x to all of the windows. Makes scraping ice SOOOO much easier.

Edit: When I was skiing regularly, I used to Rain-X my skis on warm days to eliminate that slushy 'grab' feeling you get from melting snow.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:33 AM   #18
CzechMate
SilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud of

Name: George
SilverJack's Tacoma Gallery
I wax about everything using Meguiars NXT. The glass gets RainX. Not sure about using it on any plastic since the website says: No. This product is intended for automotive glass applications.