1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Paint, Clear Bra & Waxing

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by PeteK, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Apr 20, 2009 at 11:14 AM
    PeteK

PeteK [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brockton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Truck
    So my brandy new truck got backed into after 7 days of ownership. It is in the body shop right now. When done, I am wanting to clear bra the front of the truck and apply that first good wax job.

Seeing how a fender is going to be newly painted, how long should I wait before doing a clear bra or waxing?

What is recommended to do first? Should I wax before the clear bra or vice versa?

2. Apr 20, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    2009tacomav6

2009tacomav6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4
    TRD SC TRD Cat Back KMC 17x9 Addicts
    I have heard you need 30 days of good drying time to let all the paint cure... where did you take the damage, front or back? You could probably put on the other clear coat items once you pass a month or so... or wait and have it all done at same time...

Sorry to hear your rig took damage... its upsetting as all h#ll

3. Apr 20, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    TEX357

TEX357 TX

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TACOMA
    285\70-17 BFGoodrich KM2's 17x8 Pro Comp 7089
    Wow that does suck, id be pist! did ya find out who it was? or was it a hit and run?

4. Apr 20, 2009 at 12:03 PM
    PeteK

Member:
    Brockton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Truck
    Damage on drivers fender on flare and right by drivers door. Replacing whole flare & fender new.

No idea. Hit & run. :mad: They had to have known.

5. Apr 21, 2009 at 5:16 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I've been told many times (don't ask how many times) to wait 30 days before waxing new paint. They (auto body guys) say have to give the paint time to allow the solvents totally evaporate from the paint. Seems to make sense to me.

Now, that being said..... if you should wait 30 days to wax new paint, then how can they put that protective adhesive backed plastic sheet covering on new paint and then allow new vehicles sit on storage lots for months at a time whithout damaging the new paint?

Seems fishy to me.

6. Apr 22, 2009 at 4:25 AM
    PeteK

Member:
    Brockton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Truck
    Thanks for the paint info. I'll riddle the guy on that when I pick it up.

Next question: What should go on first, wax or the clear bra? Or does it not matter? I don't want to wax first, then have them have difficulty installing the bra. I also don't want them to put the bra on if there should be a layer of wax underneath.

7. Apr 29, 2009 at 5:31 PM
    jca

jca Well-Known Member

Member:
    If the clear bra installers do it right, they're going to strip the wax off the paint anyway before the installation

8. Apr 29, 2009 at 9:43 PM
    chyknees

chyknees nomadic wanderer

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    TRD, Total Chaos, Fox, Volk, BFHoodrich
    jca - you are correct.

peteK - do not put wax on the truck first, will make the film ALOT hard to lay down correctly on your truck. Installers will use some type of alcohol/water mixture to take away the wax before applying film. Then wax your truck after the film is applied.

9. Apr 29, 2009 at 10:08 PM
    deadbolt

deadbolt do w3rk!

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab 6spd 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Black Headlights, HIDs, Tinted Fogs, Powdercoated Black Wheels, 5100s @ 2.5", Diff drop, AFE Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Intake, Black Emblems/Grille, LED Tail lights, 265/75/16s Good Year Duratracs
    i wish i had a clear bra on mine.. the paint is chipping really bad now. plus hitting bugs on long drives dont help either

10. Apr 30, 2009 at 6:59 AM
    BPachom

BPachom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5, 4cyl 4X4, Black
    Access roll-up tonneau cover, Factory radio W/Sirius, Tailgate clamp, HID head lights, Stainless nerf bars.
    The clear bra adheres to your vehicle with an adhesive, so for the best application or install, you do not want wax on the paint. And as JCA stated, a good installer will strip/remove the wax before the install.

Anyone on Long Island interested, there is an authorized clear bra dealer and they have a web site: http://ezconcepts.net

Good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top