Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

New Paint, Clear Bra & Waxing

Old 04-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
PeteK is just really nicePeteK is just really nicePeteK is just really nicePeteK is just really nice
PeteK's Tacoma Gallery
Question New Paint, Clear Bra & Waxing

So my brandy new truck got backed into after 7 days of ownership. It is in the body shop right now. When done, I am wanting to clear bra the front of the truck and apply that first good wax job.

Seeing how a fender is going to be newly painted, how long should I wait before doing a clear bra or waxing?

What is recommended to do first? Should I wax before the clear bra or vice versa?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice
Navy:
2009tacomav6's Tacoma Gallery
I have heard you need 30 days of good drying time to let all the paint cure... where did you take the damage, front or back? You could probably put on the other clear coat items once you pass a month or so... or wait and have it all done at same time...

Sorry to hear your rig took damage... its upsetting as all h#ll
Old 04-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
TX
TEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TEX357's Tacoma Gallery
Wow that does suck, id be pist! did ya find out who it was? or was it a hit and run?
Old 04-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
PeteK is just really nicePeteK is just really nicePeteK is just really nicePeteK is just really nice
PeteK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009tacomav6 View Post
I have heard you need 30 days of good drying time to let all the paint cure... where did you take the damage, front or back? You could probably put on the other clear coat items once you pass a month or so... or wait and have it all done at same time...

Sorry to hear your rig took damage... its upsetting as all h#ll
Damage on drivers fender on flare and right by drivers door. Replacing whole flare & fender new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayet_10 View Post
Wow that does suck, id be pist! did ya find out who it was? or was it a hit and run?
No idea. Hit & run. They had to have known.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:16 AM   #5
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
I've been told many times (don't ask how many times) to wait 30 days before waxing new paint. They (auto body guys) say have to give the paint time to allow the solvents totally evaporate from the paint. Seems to make sense to me.

Now, that being said..... if you should wait 30 days to wax new paint, then how can they put that protective adhesive backed plastic sheet covering on new paint and then allow new vehicles sit on storage lots for months at a time whithout damaging the new paint?

Seems fishy to me.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:25 AM   #6
PeteK's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the paint info. I'll riddle the guy on that when I pick it up.

Next question: What should go on first, wax or the clear bra? Or does it not matter? I don't want to wax first, then have them have difficulty installing the bra. I also don't want them to put the bra on if there should be a layer of wax underneath.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
jca is on a distinguished road
jca's Tacoma Gallery
If the clear bra installers do it right, they're going to strip the wax off the paint anyway before the installation
Old 04-29-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
13th wunder
chyknees will become famous soon enough
chyknees's Tacoma Gallery
jca - you are correct.

peteK - do not put wax on the truck first, will make the film ALOT hard to lay down correctly on your truck. Installers will use some type of alcohol/water mixture to take away the wax before applying film. Then wax your truck after the film is applied.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

deadbolt's Tacoma Gallery
i wish i had a clear bra on mine.. the paint is chipping really bad now. plus hitting bugs on long drives dont help either
Old 04-30-2009, 06:59 AM   #10
BPachom is on a distinguished road

BPachom's Tacoma Gallery
The clear bra adheres to your vehicle with an adhesive, so for the best application or install, you do not want wax on the paint. And as JCA stated, a good installer will strip/remove the wax before the install.

Anyone on Long Island interested, there is an authorized clear bra dealer and they have a web site: http://ezconcepts.net

Good luck!