1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CRAP! Rusty roof on my 2013?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by neverstuck, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Oct 3, 2014 at 2:30 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Hey all. Is this rust on the roof of my 2013? I use a slide-in truck camper in the summer for bugs have been hitting the camper and deflecting down onto my roof. When I removed the camper and washed the roof I found what seems like red stains from bugs, but upon closer inspection and attempts to remove, seems to be rust. This goes all the way across my roof in a band about 8 inches wide.

What should I do? I want to fix the problem, then prevent further problems. Will the roof have to be repainted at a shop? or can anyone recommend a good product that will save my butt. Dealing with massive medical costs right now (wife has Chronic Lyme Disease) so I hope I don't have to spend a fortune on this. I'm thinking a 3m wrap on the roof once it's fixed.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Matt

rust?.jpg

2. Oct 3, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    Certainly looks like rusted out scratches to me. That sucks!

I once had a truck that had numerous rock dings and what not on the front bumper. It looked awful. I didn't have the $ at the time to take it to a shop, so I repaired it myself. I ordered a rattlecan of primer, paint and clearcoat from here: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ What was nice was for a few dollars, I ordered a spray trigger that fit on top of the can to make spraying very, very easy and smooth. I think this was the key.

It actually came out great. The paint is an exact match to the factory color. They are very helpful over there too. Have all the necessary masking tape and what not to make your job come out great.

Good luck.

3. Oct 3, 2014 at 3:01 PM
    68vert

68vert Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    Rub your fingers over it. If it protrudes out, its bug guts. Wax it off. If its sinks in a little, then its through the paint and its surface rust.

Dang tough bugs to take off paint. More like gravel.......

4. Oct 3, 2014 at 6:13 PM
    neverstuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Yeah the patterns are weird. Usually rocks leave a single rounded pit. I was thinking it may be bug remains that eroded through the paint or something.

5. Oct 3, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    hanrock

hanrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    craig
    sask
    Vehicle:
    2012 nauticle blue dc lb
    is ur camper close enuff to the roof of ur truck to trap branches ,rocks and other things between and cause this??

6. Oct 3, 2014 at 6:32 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    I k now this sounds crazy but you might want to try some sort of like triflow or some sort of lubricating rust remover with a very soft cloth to get the rust off and then get some paint or something like that from the dealership and Get those spots.
    just make sure you wax it afterwards

7. Oct 12, 2014 at 3:41 PM
    ukaboy

ukaboy Toyota Junkie.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    BIG ISLAND
    Vehicle:
    04 DC TRD
    use iron x

8. Oct 17, 2014 at 11:09 AM
    Chaloots

Chaloots Well-Known Member

Member:
    i helped a friend touch up the front of his bmw with a dr.color chip kit with good results. i would recommend it if you could somehow clean up the rust first

9. Oct 17, 2014 at 12:18 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I've not tried it, but a couple of others on here swear by the Dr. Color Chip method..and I've seen their trucks up close too..

10. Oct 18, 2014 at 12:51 PM
    neverstuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    Thanks. I'll look into that. I was also thinking about cleaning up the rust then either line-x or a 3m wrap on the roof to stop future problems. Anyone have thought on that?

11. Oct 18, 2014 at 1:08 PM
    jrzyshore

jrzyshore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    SNJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Prius TRD Offroad
    Icon extended travel coilovers and rear shocks, Dakar leaf springs, Toytec U bolt flip, extended length Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Timbren Bump stops ,TC UCAs, Street Taco (Beefedtaco) 1 1/2" CB drop, 4x Innovation DOM tube sliders with kick outs, some extended brake lines,ATO front skid plate, ATO trans skid, ATO Hi Lift brackets, 60" Hi Lift jack and a pine tree air freshener.
    It looks like rail dust which is very common and very noticeable on light color paint. Hit it with the clay bar, it should take care of it.

12. Oct 18, 2014 at 1:15 PM
    53wick

53wick Well-Known Member

Member:
    kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2014 accesscab prerunner
    looks like metal dust, do you live around a railroad or machine shop or been grinding around the truck? wash roof then clay bay it, then use rubbing compound. had this problem at work, they installed filters backwards on roof vents on are machining lines, let the metal dust blow outside. run your hand across roof it will fill like sandpaper.

13. Oct 18, 2014 at 1:34 PM
    Roundarc

Roundarc Former Tacoma Owner

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford F150 XLT
    x2

14. Oct 18, 2014 at 1:34 PM
    neverstuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    Not metal dust. No nearby rail lines. It's definitely from shit hitting my slide-in camper and riccocheting down at the roof.

15. Oct 18, 2014 at 3:51 PM
    jrzyshore

jrzyshore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    SNJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Prius TRD Offroad
    Icon extended travel coilovers and rear shocks, Dakar leaf springs, Toytec U bolt flip, extended length Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Timbren Bump stops ,TC UCAs, Street Taco (Beefedtaco) 1 1/2" CB drop, 4x Innovation DOM tube sliders with kick outs, some extended brake lines,ATO front skid plate, ATO trans skid, ATO Hi Lift brackets, 60" Hi Lift jack and a pine tree air freshener.
    I could be from anywhere like someone grinding on metal nearby or a construction site. I would just give that a try before going and painting my roof. But that is just my 2 cents.

Products Discussed in

To Top