Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Car I wax my truck in 30 degree weather?

Old 12-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
spitdog will become famous soon enough
spitdog's Tacoma Gallery
Car I wax my truck in 30 degree weather?

So I just picked up my 2015 Tacoma, I want to put a protective coat of sealant on it right a way but our weather now is in the 30's / 40's . Is it ok to do this at this time.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
Clearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Billy
Clearwater Bill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitdog View Post
So I just picked up my 2015 Tacoma, I want to put a protective coat of sealant on it right a way but our weather now is in the 30's / 40's . Is it ok to do this at this time.
Read the label on your product of choice and let that be a guide.

Temp can cause the product to separate (liquids), be hard to work, or not haze properly.

If the product doesn't have any temp warnings, I don't see why cold air would hurt anything.

Just be sure the surface is really clean first.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
Hair Missile is one of the sharper tools in the shedHair Missile is one of the sharper tools in the shedHair Missile is one of the sharper tools in the shedHair Missile is one of the sharper tools in the shedHair Missile is one of the sharper tools in the shedHair Missile is one of the sharper tools in the shedHair Missile is one of the sharper tools in the shedHair Missile is one of the sharper tools in the shedHair Missile is one of the sharper tools in the shedHair Missile is one of the sharper tools in the shedHair Missile is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hair Missile's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on everything Clearwater said.

You could set the sealant in some warm water to keep it at a workable temp. Try a small section on the hood and see how it dries/buffs off. If no issues then keep going a panel at a time. Good luck!
Old 12-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
KyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KyleNowad's Tacoma Gallery
Wax and sealant are different. What do you want to do?

I also agree with what has already been said.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
One thing to keep in mind is the surface temp of the truck. I've washed in cold weather quite a bit but spray wax's and product like them tend to freeze on the sheet metal quickly.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
spitdog will become famous soon enough
spitdog's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I was going to use sealant, I will just do a test area when the sealant arrives. I was just a little concerned going through the winter without some kind of protectant on the truck.
Since its a brand new truck, I guess something is on it from the factory.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
Clearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Billy
Clearwater Bill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitdog View Post
Yea I was going to use sealant, I will just do a test area when the sealant arrives. I was just a little concerned going through the winter without some kind of protectant on the truck.
Since its a brand new truck, I guess something is on it from the factory.
Don't count on it.

I'd even clay it before putting anything on it. No telling what contaminates are in the paint from various forms of transport and storage.

It's 'possible' the selling dealer did a detail and wax. But unless you can confirm that, I'd assume it need a proper cleaning and care.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #8
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Spending the few extra bucks now to have a pro shop handle the job could be worth every penny in the long run, I would think.