Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Clay Bar Question

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Clay Bar Question

OK, so I just got laid off, but it not all doom and gloom. I have 10 weeks sevrance pay, so while I'm looking for work, I'm going to be a little busy in my spare time showing my baby some love.

I've been reading about clay baring, but have never done it before.

I'm looking for tips, lessons learned, and an opinion as to which one is the best to use.

I have an 08 Speedway Blue DC Sport.

Thanks,
Old 05-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
meguiars and mothers both make great claybar kits.....but the one from clay magic...cheaper than the rest, is a good kit too. instead of using the "lube" that comes with the clay kit(all it is is a spray detailer), use some regular car wash soap....makes an excellent lube, and its alot cheaper. thay way...you can save the quick detailer for later uses after washing and all.

sorry to hear about your job man.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
Murdered X
05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E-4,UH-1 Door Gunner
Name: Brett
05 X-Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I use the mothers kit.. seems to work really well on both my trucks, makes them feel as smooth as a babys butt.

I did my X and my friends X and the TRD sport a couple weeks ago.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
I use the liquid clay bar--Turtle Wax ICE. Awesome stuff. Put on like wax and rinse
Old 05-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Don't go ninja'in nobody don't need ninja'in
Buzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud of

Buzzoff's Tacoma Gallery
I used the Meguirs on my Speedway blue. Quite possibly the best detailing tool available.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
use water or lube and if u drop it so be so quick to throw away unless its really bad and if so donate towards ur rims...
Old 05-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
C_Teachout is on a distinguished road
C_Teachout's Tacoma Gallery
I have found the meguirs "smooth Surface" clay system. Not to pricey and really leaves a sooth as glass surface. You can get it at Wal-Mart but I order all my stuff through Autogeek.net Everything you need
Old 05-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
I've really got to do this to some of our cars. (like all of them but my Mazda, it doesn't deserve it ) Especially the Expedition, a $50K SUV should look like a $50K SUV.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:17 AM   #11
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info, I bought the Meguires kit and plan on detailing my truck this weekend .
Old 05-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
Robocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Robocop's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the Mothers Kit this weekend as well as the Mothers Polymer Synthetic wax. I just finished washing my truck and it is parked inside my garage out of the weather.

My question is after I use the clay bar the finish will be smooth and ready for the wax. Is it really necessary to wash the truck again and then apply the wax or is it ok to just use the wax after the bar without a second wash?

Seems like a big pain in the ass to wash and dry again on a perfectly smooth finish.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:11 AM   #13
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
There's a guy on Ebay that sells clay bars only, that are of fine, medium varities.

His bars are large, about 3-4 small claybars will equal his.

I've found them to work very well.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #14
I dont re-wash. When I clay bar with the spray wax I wipe off with a clean micorfiber towel as I go. Then use a cleaner wax, then use a nice long protective wax, I personally like collonite. Then I use Pinnacle brillance wax from autogeek.net and follow up over that with the quick detail spray.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #15
Robocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Robocop's Tacoma Gallery
I washed it after anyway just to be safe and the clay bar really did amaze me. Being as the vehicle is still new I did not expect much however the paint kind of looks "deeper" if that makes any sense.

I used the Mothers clay bar kit and afterwards followed up with Mothers FX Syn wax. It looks amazing however it does not "feel" as slick to the touch as when I have used other waxes.

Maybe it is my imagination however even if it does not feel as slick the paint looks damn good right now. I did notice that I did not have very much discoloration of my clay when I was finished.....is this due to the truck being mostly new or did I not press down hard enough??
Old 05-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocop View Post
I washed it after anyway just to be safe and the clay bar really did amaze me. Being as the vehicle is still new I did not expect much however the paint kind of looks "deeper" if that makes any sense.

I used the Mothers clay bar kit and afterwards followed up with Mothers FX Syn wax. It looks amazing however it does not "feel" as slick to the touch as when I have used other waxes.

Maybe it is my imagination however even if it does not feel as slick the paint looks damn good right now. I did notice that I did not have very much discoloration of my clay when I was finished.....is this due to the truck being mostly new or did I not press down hard enough??

I claybared mine the day i picked it up from the dealership. before putting any waxes I wanted to make sure the base was as clean as possible. When I bared my truck i did not get much for contaminates, maybe some brake dust etc. I got alot of garbage when i bared my 95 camry but damn did it shine after. When you clay bar you can actually feel the bar getting friction at the start. I keep baring it until it is so smooth I dont hear the friction. as long as there is enough lube on it just push down with a minor force and you will be fine.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #17
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
id recommend looking for detailing shops in ur area instead of buying walmart/kragen/autozone products if you REALLY wanna detail
Old 05-12-2009, 03:44 AM   #18
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
I clayed my truck this weekend and used the Meguiars kit, it includes the cleaner wax to finish with and it looks great, but should I use a different type of wax to protect it better?
I'm going to go browse around now .

Ok, I found a suggestion in the Ask a Detailer thread, I think I'm going to try Meguiar's NXT 2.0 since it is a sealant and I live in the hot desert it will last longer than regular wax.

I need to polish, but I'm hesitant on that at the moment.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:43 AM   #19
for my protectant coat I use a brand called collinite. It is somthing that is made locally but it might as well be made across the country because I cant even buy it locally. http://autogeek.net/collinite-super-...--wax-476.html
Old 05-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #20
Swollen Member
8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

8th sin's Tacoma Gallery
I've always used clay magic since it's the cheapest. Just use soapy water for lube, as what the kit provides will barely be enough for our trucks and you don't want to be frugal with the lube I also rewash after, then follow up with a glaze and wax. Just keep the clay off the ground, and be wary of touching the ground or dirt with your hands and then touching the clay as it will all stick to it.

Products Discussed in this Thread