Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Cleaner Wax Vs Regular Vs Synthetic ?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
Rich Swanner is on a distinguished road

Rich Swanner's Tacoma Gallery
Cleaner Wax Vs Regular Vs Synthetic ?

I have a 2007 Black Sand Pearl Prerunner DC. What is the best polish , wax or synthetic for shine, duribility and ease of use for my black truck. I don't have a buffer, so it is all me .I have nothing against sending for a good product , but would like a local product(store)for easier availiblity. Thanks in advance!-Rich
Old 10-27-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
tfc946 is on a distinguished road
tfc946's Tacoma Gallery
wax

i have used about every wax known to man and the best thing i have ever used is turtle wax ICE. you can use ICE on black trim, tires, rubber, etc. the bottle says to not use it on glass but i have actually accidentally got it on the glass and did not see a problem.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
the tw ice is ok, but it doesnt last that long. you need to claybar, then polish, then wax. mothers and meguiars both make excellent polish and waxes!! as does eagle1( nanowax=great stuff). and, more than likely. you can get these locally(like walmart).
Old 10-27-2007, 09:06 PM   #4

I have heard that Meguiars NXT goes on and off as easy as TW, but gives a deeper shine. It says don't use on vinyl. I can put it on the bumpers and fender skirts? They mean the rubber parts of the door and windows trim right?
Old 10-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
Zaino!!!!!!!

:d
Old 10-27-2007, 11:29 PM   #6
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
OK folks, Pb did a "How to Detail" primer over on TN, have a seat, sip your favorite adult beverage and take a gander:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=126955
Old 10-28-2007, 12:01 AM   #7

I have a new truck, black and want to keep it looking good for right now as I said I don't have a buffer just a hand. I am going to get Meguiars NXT Tech Wax Liquid and try it. It is supposed to be good for new clear coat dark colors, gives a wet shine look. I will try it for the bottles worth, and switch or not later to the Ice if I don't get the results. I have been using the Gold Class paste. It is harder to work and harder to get off, so we will see...
Old 10-28-2007, 06:51 AM   #8
tfc946 is on a distinguished road
tfc946's Tacoma Gallery
turtle wax also makes what they call a liquid clay bar which i used on my 96 and it really made it shine again. i agree that the ice may not last long but it is easy to use and i put it on all the black trim which makes it look like mothers back to black is on it. i have also used the ice on the tires and it repells dirt and dust.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:59 AM   #9
106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about

106Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I only use ice on my show cars, because it not durable. For my tacoma i did a 3 stage wax when i got it, wash with special agent, first step and last stage process, since then ive used a paint sealer and now ive graduated to nxt. 10,000 miles and my truck has been waxed almost 60 times. The dirt literealy washes off. Buffalo ny in the winter is brutal on autos. The best thing about using wax every time i wash it is the bugs never stick to it. When it gets a bath they all fall off! Its awsome!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #10
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfc946 View Post
turtle wax also makes what they call a liquid clay bar which i used on my 96 and it really made it shine again. i agree that the ice may not last long but it is easy to use and i put it on all the black trim which makes it look like mothers back to black is on it. i have also used the ice on the tires and it repells dirt and dust.
A real detailing clay bar works a lot better than that TW Ice Liquid Clay. I don't care for any of the Ice stuff.

Cleaner Wax: Usually it's a wax with a little abrasive polish mixed in. It might be able to fix minor swirls. It's usually a good product to use, but it won't work as good as using a separate polish and then a separate wax.

Synthetic Wax: A synthetic wax is also know as a "sealant". Made from man-made protectants. Usually has good durabilty and shine. Many synthetics won't stain plastic trim.

Natural Wax: Usually called "Carnauba Wax". Deep shine. Usually not real durable. Great for show cars, and dark colored paints. P21S is one of my favorite carnaubas.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
mitiko is on a distinguished road
mitiko's Tacoma Gallery
3m pure fine
Old 03-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #12
netman1969 will become famous soon enoughnetman1969 will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Air Force Security Police NCO
Name: Dave
netman1969's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to netman1969
I think it's worth mentioning that no wax is worth the money if you are washing the truck wrong. I know that sounds like common sense, but back in my younger days I worked as a detailer in my uncles shop and later as a detail supervisor at a dealership. I cannot tell you how many people would come in and get a detail and show up a week later complaining that the car looked like crap after running it through a commercial car wash.

My trucks get waxed once every 3 months with a good quality paste wax and if I need a quick touchup for a special occasion I use a good liquid like NXT or Pink Wax in between.

My 4 Runner is an 06 and the paint still looks as good as new. The Taco is brand new, but it will still look just as good years from now. The trick is that neither have or will EVER go through a commercial car wash, they are only done by hand and only using a non-stripping car wash like Mothers, ICE, etc.

A good wax should last at least 3 months, as long as you dont use a wash that strips the wax off. Even the south Texas sun can't defeat a good wax.

Products Discussed in this Thread