Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

How do you dry your truck?

View Poll Results: How do you dry off your truck?
Absorber 847 46.28%
Cotton Towel 469 25.63%
Air dry 363 19.84%
ShamWOW 151 8.25%
Voters: 1830. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #521
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
I use a squeegee and then an absorber type cloth. I let it sit in the sun for a while to let the cracks dry out. I am going to have to try the leaf blower now though
Old 03-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #522
allthom is on a distinguished road
allthom's Tacoma Gallery
I use a miracle blade and follow it with some cotton detail rags.
(I work at a detail shop so have access to all the items)

Seems to work the best but i do have a white truck.

One word of advice to people with black or dark colored trucks is to use some sort of microfiber drying towel if worried about scratches occurring from drying.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #523
StevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud of
Name: Steve
StevoNB's Tacoma Gallery
I let God dry mine.....although he tends to leave water spots.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #524
spiralout462 is on a distinguished road

spiralout462's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthom View Post
I use a miracle blade and follow it with some cotton detail rags.
(I work at a detail shop so have access to all the items)

Seems to work the best but i do have a white truck.

One word of advice to people with black or dark colored trucks is to use some sort of microfiber drying towel if worried about scratches occurring from drying.
I agree a hundred percent! I do a sheeting rinse, then blower, then blotting technique with a Guzzler. Black (202) is very soft.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #525
mcdee is on a distinguished road
Name: mike
mcdee's Tacoma Gallery
First I water blade, drive 1-2 miles, then microfiber cloth and blower dry drip areas. I always wash in early AM or 1/2 hour before dark.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:53 AM   #526
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
I hit the highway!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #527
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Guys don't forget-

Slap a good coat of wax and make life easier! You can set your hose to a slow output setting (water drizzling out) and let it run a sheet of water down all sections. This will keep the water from beading up and will "dry" the car almost completely without ever touching it with a cloth!

Something similar to this. . .

http://youtu.be/GIYHNMHIRdY
Old 03-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #528
mcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mcgiiver's Tacoma Gallery
Usually use a chamois, but when it warms up I am going to try a leaf blower also, for hard to get at places. Works great on a motorcycle.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #529
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
california jelly water blade, then i dry the remaining off with a waffle weeve microfiber towel. NO swirl marks!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #530
EG555 is a glorious beacon of lightEG555 is a glorious beacon of lightEG555 is a glorious beacon of lightEG555 is a glorious beacon of lightEG555 is a glorious beacon of lightEG555 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Edgar
EG555's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to have to invest in a jelly blade and waffle towel.

I've been using a shamwow and normal microfibers but there's always water being streaked.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #532
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought one of these and it works so good at getting all the water between the cracks and crevices out. Do you hate how after you think you are done drying and you get those drips from your side mirrors or badges? It works great on wet tires and wheels too.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #533
JCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Over your paygrade
Name: Master Chief (E-9) USN (Ret)
JCruiser's Tacoma Gallery
I have a white truck, so I just use micro-fiber towels, one in each hand.... but on my 2011 Black Mustang, I really have to be careful of what soap I use. The last 2 gallons have been Mothers California Gold. 1-2 oz per gallon of water and a micro-fiber wash mitt. I so the wheels first, but use an old towel and soft brush to bet around all of the lugs and openings. I dry the Mustang with a larger microfiber (O'Rileys Auto Parts) to dry it off. One of the most important things I learned was to use plenty of water, and not a hard spray, but a heavy rinse. I use the Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 and there is not a lot of drying to be done, and it has very few scratches in it. A detailer once told me to never never never use a cleaner wax on a black car because the cleaning actions in it are abrasive and you will get small swirls in it. Mothers makes a great straight carnuba wax which does not care what color it goes on. Insure that you use non-abrasive applicators and wipe off towels and you should be OK.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:12 AM   #534
freddirt is just really nicefreddirt is just really nicefreddirt is just really nicefreddirt is just really nicefreddirt is just really nice

Law Enforcement: Patrol
Name: Clint
freddirt's Tacoma Gallery
I use the Absorber on the paint, and have for years on all my rigs. I've never got scratches from it. I throw it in the wash when it starts to get dirty. I use my air compressor to blow water out of the cracks and a normal towel for the windows, chrome, badges, wheels, and glass. I throw on some spray n' wipe wax with micro fiber towels every other wash.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #535
U.S.M.C.
bowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: HQ BN Truck CO 2nd Marine Division, RS Salt lake city, 6th Marine Regiment, 7th Marine Regiment
bowzerdoo77's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to bowzerdoo77 Send a message via Skype™ to bowzerdoo77
I cant ever get the jelly blade to do as good of a job as the Absorber, they last forever I have had it for at least 5 years and still drys awesome.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #536
Skeeter Skeetin is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: AET/Flight Mechanic
Name: Greg
Skeeter Skeetin's Tacoma Gallery
I'm blessed to have a industrial water distiller at work. I rinse it down with that after it gets a bath. no spots!
Old 05-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #537
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
Drying truck

I use a landscaping backpack blower.
Its really high output.
Go over it 2x, & its done.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #538
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0352
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Squeegee FTW!
Old 05-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #539
tennisbum132 is on a distinguished road
tennisbum132's Tacoma Gallery
Usually hand wash then I hit the $1 wand wash for their spot free rinse (they keep their demin filters fresh) afterwards drive 2 miles down the highway to air dry. Then wax with Original Spirits/microfiber. AND DONE!
Old 05-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #540
lowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Phillip
lowcountrytj's Tacoma Gallery
Backpack blower.

Products Discussed in this Thread