Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Plasti-dip FULL TRUCK DIP THREAD

Old 02-10-2015, 01:56 AM   #1
Broke/On Mall Patrol
thunderone will become famous soon enoughthunderone will become famous soon enough

thunderone's Tacoma Gallery
Plasti-dip FULL TRUCK DIP THREAD

This hasn't been made yet so I figured I'd start it. I know there's a thread with people doing little things like emblems and stuff but if you have done a full dip on your truck post it up.

EDIT
Anthracite grey:
Old 02-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I hope you're not concerned about gas mileage.... that's gonna add a shit-ton of extra weight to the truck.
Is this a serious post?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I hope you're not concerned about gas mileage.... that's gonna add a shit-ton of extra weight to the truck.
The little bit of weight the plasti-dip will add will not impact fuel economy enough to notice. It'd be about the equivalent of having an extra passenger at best. You might be thinking of the guys who Line-X'd their vehicles. That stuff is a lot thicker.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
Broke/On Mall Patrol
thunderone will become famous soon enoughthunderone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
LOL yeah I'm definitely concerned about gas mileage... full toolbox, 33s with 4.10s and budbuilt skid plate and bellypan, sliders and an ARB.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #7
Broke/On Mall Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
The little bit of weight the plasti-dip will add will not impact fuel economy enough to notice. It'd be about the equivalent of having an extra passenger at best. You might be thinking of the guys who Line-X'd their vehicles. That stuff is a lot thicker.
I just peeled the dip off of one rim, it weighed a whole idk... half an ounce? I could crush it with my hand into a ping pong sized ball.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #8
Broke/On Mall Patrol

Old 02-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #9
cheese'd out of my mind
Tuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tuckerhump's Tacoma Gallery
Blackhawke88 dipped his truck a few years ago.. Its in his build somewhere http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...to-thread.html

seems to be holding up just fine
Old 02-11-2015, 11:45 PM   #10
Broke/On Mall Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerhump View Post
Blackhawke88 dipped his truck a few years ago.. Its in his build somewhere http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...to-thread.html

seems to be holding up just fine
The clearcoat on the roof is starting to fail, so I'm looking to seal it up. I'm lucky that with care, my clear coat has lasted this long. I see tons of black first gens that look like sh*t due to the failing clear coat.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:02 PM   #11
Broke/On Mall Patrol

Old 02-17-2015, 10:11 PM   #12
TACO LOVER!
!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light

Law Enforcement:
Name: Felix
!TacoTaco!'s Tacoma Gallery
I think it came out great, looks nice and smooth. I have been toying around with the idea of doing my rims. I was going to do it this past weekend but ended up in hospital and with no release date in sight not sure when I will be able to do it. Any advice on how to do it ? I will be using rTtle cans and I am no expert at that.
Thanks!
Old 02-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #13
Broke/On Mall Patrol

Just do lots of thin coats for the rims. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 02-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #14
Blze001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlze001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlze001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlze001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlze001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlze001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlze001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlze001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlze001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlze001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlze001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: JD
Blze001's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like you need to touch up the rims a wee bit
Old 02-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #15
Broke/On Mall Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blze001 View Post
Looks like you need to touch up the rims a wee bit
I actually need to hit them with goo gone to get the rest of it off. I peeled most of it but it was too thin in some areas to get a good peel.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:22 PM   #16
Crock112 is on a distinguished road
Name: Crock
Crock112's Tacoma Gallery
How much did that run you? Love the color!
Old 02-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #17
John taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohn taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohn taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohn taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohn taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohn taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohn taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohn taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohn taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohn taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohn taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
John taco's Tacoma Gallery
Damn that looks clean. Did you add thinner? If so what was you ratio thinner/dip? Is the dip surface pretty smooth?

I assume you used a electric painters gun?
Old 02-18-2015, 01:39 PM   #18
DaVikes is on a distinguished road
Name: Ross
DaVikes's Tacoma Gallery
I think the truck looks awesome. How many gallons did it take? I'm guessing that stuff is no more than 10lbs per gallon. (a bit heavier than water)
Old 02-18-2015, 01:43 PM   #19
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
what was the cost of the dip OP? BTW I'm in Tuscaloosa, honk or wave if you see me around town.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:34 PM   #20
Broke/On Mall Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crock112 View Post
How much did that run you? Love the color!
About $220 for all the supplies
Quote:
Originally Posted by John taco View Post
Damn that looks clean. Did you add thinner? If so what was you ratio thinner/dip? Is the dip surface pretty smooth?

I assume you used a electric painters gun?
Yes a Wagner gun, no thinner. I think gallons from DYC are pre thinned now. The surface came out fairly smooth, I need to wash it to get a lot of the overspray off and it will look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVikes View Post
I think the truck looks awesome. How many gallons did it take? I'm guessing that stuff is no more than 10lbs per gallon. (a bit heavier than water)
The shipping weight was 32lbs for four gallons. I'm sure the total weight added was more like 20-25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Dan View Post
what was the cost of the dip OP? BTW I'm in Tuscaloosa, honk or wave if you see me around town.
$220 with supplies. Will do! I'm usually around campus/15th street mostly.