Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Spray Car wash question

Old 05-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #1
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Spray Car wash question

There is a car wash just off campus I frequent. It is one of those quarter fed, high pressure spray and foaming brush places. I love it since I can get up under the truck with the spray.

However, on spray option is "Engine Cleaner". It comes with a disclaimer that reads similar to "Donot drive car until ten minutes after spray. Failure to comply make result in stalling"

Just to feed my curiosity, what could be in the spray, why would you have to wait 10 minutes to drive, and even if I put grocery bags over my electronics (sensors, fused, etc) should I avoid high pressure?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
I would avoid spraying "engine cleaner" out of high pressure hose into the engine compartment. To many seals, bearings, electrical components, connections, etc that can be ruined if water enters them.

I would only use a hand towel sprayed with degreaser to wipe down the engine bay. Spraying anything (even just water) in there is NOT a good idea.

I assume the stalling is because you are driving with wet electrical components. I wouldn't want them to get wet in the first place. It's also a liability issue. If you drive away and stall on the highway because of a short, they are liable for any damages (without the disclaimer).
Old 05-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Those pressure washers put water where water's not supposed to go, I'd never use one for the engine compartment.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
Thats more for older cars with distributor caps and rotors. If the points get wet then car no run. With our coil on plug the odds of anything getting wet and messing up is very slim. Many times i wash the engine while it is running and have had no problems.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
lasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant future
Navy: Lead PO Submarine Reactor Control Dvision
lasllc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Those pressure washers put water where water's not supposed to go, I'd never use one for the engine compartment.
X2.
Actually, I wouldnt use a pressure washer period; except for VERY infrequently and then ONLY on the rinse cycle to knock off the ugly stuff on the undercarraige. Of course you have to dewal with the water spots later.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
sdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nice
sdnicker2000's Tacoma Gallery
I used to run a car wash. The engine cleaner was low pressure...at least at mine. I used it off and on with no problems. One thing to remember when using the foaming brushes...think about what that brush was used on last by the guy before you. Anyone? Anyone? Probably his tires. Be sure to rinse out the brush before you use it on your paint to get out any little pebbles and dirt.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #7
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
when i used to go to those places i brought my own bucket and sponge
Old 05-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
when i used to go to those places i brought my own bucket and sponge

By far the best way to wash your truck if using a DIY car wash.

Use a microfiber sponge with a bucket that has a small amount of car wash soap, and wash the dirt off the truck. then rinse with the gun.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
yep or own your own pressure washer, or use ur dads