Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Detail and clay bar write up

Old 05-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
Detail and clay bar write up

So I have had plans to clay bar my truck for about a week now. Thought I would do a write up for those wanting to do the same.
The items that I used.

Step 1 cleaning the engine.
I sprayed Simple Green everywhere. Let is soak for a few minutes and rinse off with a gentle stream of water. Be careful around the alternator and other electrical plugs. I have never had a problem but I don't drench them with water. Once that is done leave it wet and close the hood.
Step 2 the wheels and tires.
Simple Green again. I spray on 2 wheels and tires at a time. Use a designated wet sponge and scrub the wheels and tires and rinse off.
Step 3 washing the truck.
Most of know how to do this. Wet truck and clean the paint. I use a micro fiber mitt and it works so much better than a traditional sponge. Next you will want to dry it with a real or synthetic shamoi.
Step 4 clay bar.
I used the Mothers clay bar kit since it came with 2 bars and a microfiber towel for $1 less than the Meguires kit. MAKE SURE THE TRUCK IS NOT IN SUNLIGHT for this. I started on the driverís side front quarter panel and worked my way around. Start by spraying half of the quarter panel with the detailing spray that came in the kit. Then run the clay over the area you have sprayed. Wipe off the area with a clean microfiber towel. Now repeat this till the whole truck is smooth as glass. You will have to kneed the bar to make the surface clean a few times during the process.
Step 5 waxing.
I choose the Meguires Carnauba liquid wax. I did not want to use a cleaning wax since the paint will already be very smooth and I did not have any swirl marks to contend with. MAKE SURE THE TRUCK IS NOT IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT. I used a microfiber applicator pad to apply the wax. Start by wetting the pad and wring out excess water. Apply a small amount of wax to pad and start making small swirls on the paint. Most of us are know how to wax our trucks. Cover the entire paint of the truck with wax and buff off with microfiber towels.
Step 6 finishing up the engine.
I used a SMALL amount of the tire foam and dusted the engine bay with it. I used blue paper shop towels to wipe everything down. The engine bay will still be a little wet when you start.
Step 7 finishing wheels and tires
Spray the tires with tire foam and try to keep it off the wheels. I then use blue paper shop towels again along with a little glass cleaner to wipe off the wheels.
Step 7 making the finish look real good.
This step is optional but I think it make the paint stand out a little more. Go back over the paint with the detailing spray and a clean microfiber towel.
Here are a few pics of the finished product.

Not directly before but it is a before pic

I didn't notice the flag in this pic till after I put it on the computer and thought I would share since it is a patriotic day.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
Great job!
Old 05-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
Nice, now go get it dirty again, lol...
Old 05-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
Where's the pic with 10 empty cans on the floor?!
Old 05-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
amongs many other things i learned from this post, i learned how to spell "shamoi". Just never seen it spelled out before
Old 05-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
amongs many other things i learned from this post, i learned how to spell "shamoi". Just never seen it spelled out before
that may not be how its spelled but people seem to know what it is.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
that may not be how its spelled but people seem to know what it is.
works for me, great write up!
Old 05-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
Nice job! Beer well done! I mean job, not beer...
Old 05-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #9
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Why does it seem that your mudflaps are smaller than other peoples
Old 05-26-2009, 07:59 AM   #10

tex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
Why does it seem that your mudflaps are smaller than other peoples
I took about 2 1/2 inches off each one. I was going to leave them off but they really help protect the paint. It was really easy to do and I think there is a write on here somewhere.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:09 AM   #11
wbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 46210 munitions system spec. F-4 phantom
wbhvacer's Tacoma Gallery
noticed you have the famous brake and clutch combined reservoir. also great write up!!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #12
I am the Sofa King
harshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

harshest's Tacoma Gallery
Nice looking truck! Claying your vehicle is probably one of the best things you can do.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #14
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
What removes small cratches better clay bar or buff?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #15
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raskal311 View Post
Clay bar doesn't remove scratches. Just dirt.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #16
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Step 4 clay bar.
I used the Mothers clay bar kit since it came with 2 bars and a microfiber towel for $1 less than the Meguires kit. MAKE SURE THE TRUCK IS NOT IN SUNLIGHT for this.
I bought the exact same clay bar kit at Walmart on Friday (then used this weekend). The package was opened, but the clay bar was still in the original wrapping and the spray bottle and sample of wax was still inside.

Not until I read your post did I realize I was supposed to have TWO clay bars! DAMMIT!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #17
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
ACK!!!! You use Armor All!?!?! I use to use AA products, but now use all Meguiar's. Great products!!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #18
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
Quote:
Originally Posted by raskal311 View Post
Either rubbing compound or a polishing compound depending on the scratch. If it is deep into the clearcoat you probably won't be able to remove it with either. You need to be careful with rubbing compound since it can remove clearcoat and paint. Rubbing compound is basically like a paste form of super fine sandpaper. You usually use the rubbing compound first then follow up with the polishing compound and then wax/sealer.

NOTE: When using rubbing compound it will more than likely dull the paint where you applied it. Following up with a polishing compound then a wax should restore the shine.

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,23

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,22
Old 05-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #19
Inundated is on a distinguished road
Inundated's Tacoma Gallery
It's amazing how much crap is on this truck when delivered. I was a bit shocked after feeling the hood & fenders, even more so, on the roof.

I spent yesterday afternoon with a clay bar on mine, followed up with some Zaino and I'm feeling much better about things now

*I'm no Zaino zealot, I just wanted to polish off my supply. One of my neighbor sells Adam's products and I'm a real believer. Their quick detailer is tops.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:05 PM   #20
Blue Tango is a jewel in the roughBlue Tango is a jewel in the roughBlue Tango is a jewel in the roughBlue Tango is a jewel in the rough
Air Force: NIS
Blue Tango's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
It's amazing how much crap is on this truck when delivered. I was a bit shocked after feeling the hood & fenders, even more so, on the roof.

I spent yesterday afternoon with a clay bar on mine, followed up with some Zaino and I'm feeling much better about things now

*I'm no Zaino zealot, I just wanted to polish off my supply. One of my neighbor sells Adam's products and I'm a real believer. Their quick detailer is tops.
My truck just got its first clay at 52,000 miles, it's an 06. The roof was by far the worst part but now it's smooth as glass. I also use Zaino though the first shipment of my new Adam's products have arrived.

I also don't like armor all. I switched away from their car wash a few months ago and changed to Stoners Invisible Glass for the windows a couple weeks ago, that stuff is awesome.