Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Swirl marks

Old 05-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Swirl marks

Whats the easiest way to get rid of them?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
You'll need some sort of orbital buffer like a Porter Cable and use it to buff it out with a quality polish.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
quality polish.... Like that Zeno stuff
Old 05-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
I think you mean Zaino, but yeah, that should suffice.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah thats it. Ok. Ill get right on it..... well eventually
Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
Rangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant future

Army: 75th Ranger Regiment
Rangerpeterson's Tacoma Gallery
Hey and when you get yours done you can come do mine
Old 05-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerpeterson View Post
Hey and when you get yours done you can come do mine
Sure why not. But it comes with a small fee
Old 05-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
Rangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant future

Army: 75th Ranger Regiment
Rangerpeterson's Tacoma Gallery
I get the feeling that the your using the word "small" pretty loosely
Old 05-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Somewhat. Well Full car wash(inside and out)+ clay bar+wax=$20.00
Old 05-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #10
Blue Tango is a jewel in the roughBlue Tango is a jewel in the roughBlue Tango is a jewel in the roughBlue Tango is a jewel in the rough
Air Force: NIS
Blue Tango's Tacoma Gallery
Zaino Z-5 did wonders for my truck. After a good clay bar session of course. Clay does nothing for swirls though.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #12
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
What ever you do to treat them, be careful washing and drying in the future to help avoid getting them. (Tougher to avoid with the dark colors) Avoiding automatic carwash is a good way to avoid them as well. The vehicle is never truly clean out of the tunnel, and then some kid starts rubbing the grit into the paint with towels.

Never use dishwashing liquid (too harsh) as it strips the wax and dries out the surface. Better to get even an inexpensive car wash in a jug.

Wash lightly top to bottom after a thorough rinse to get the loose stuff off. Use a good mitt and dunk it back in the suds often. Let the mitt and suds do the washing, no power scrubbing is needed usually. When you finnish the bottom, use another miit (downgraded from former front line status) to do the inside flare painted areas and any steps / accessories if you have them. I use that same mitt to do the rims.

I then use a crappy old mitt to the do the tires with what ever is left of the suds.

I dry with a warm water saturated (squeeze excess out as needed) chamois. The warm water really gets the chamois soft. I also pitch the chamois over the roof and hood and just kind of drag it back to me. Blot remaining droplets as needed. Less contact with the paint = less swirls.

I use a soft towel inside doors / jambs and then to dry the rims.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
Blue Tango is a jewel in the roughBlue Tango is a jewel in the roughBlue Tango is a jewel in the roughBlue Tango is a jewel in the rough
Air Force: NIS
Blue Tango's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
You should've posted your link....

So I will!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...no-finish.html

Nice job by the way...
Thanks! I'll be doing a full detail soon enough and plan to make the whole thing look better than new.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:32 PM   #14
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
spray pledge. just a little bit on a towel after you was it.( body shop secret)
Old 05-31-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
WAX FOOL! I just went over the Expedition today with Meguiars NXT 2.0 sealant (fake wax) and the swirl marks are pretty much dulled out and in the background. Win4me! I didn't even use a buffer! Just their sponge to put on and some sihtty microfiber towels to take it off...although I parked under a tree to do it...it worked wonderfully! So smooth!
Old 05-31-2009, 05:45 PM   #16
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoholic View Post
WAX FOOL! I just went over the Expedition today with Meguiars NXT 2.0 sealant (fake wax) and the swirl marks are pretty much dulled out and in the background. Win4me! I didn't even use a buffer! Just their sponge to put on and some sihtty microfiber towels to take it off...although I parked under a tree to do it...it worked wonderfully! So smooth!
Thats what i use. That stuff is like armorall for the paint.

The only problem is that the more swirled before using, the less mileage you get from the application before the swirl marks become increasingly noticable again.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #17
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTACOMA View Post
Thats what i use. That stuff is like armorall for the paint.

The only problem is that the more swirled before using, the less mileage you get from the application before the swirl marks become increasingly noticable again.
Well, I wanted to clay bar first but I was skeptical since we put extra clear coating on the vehicle. But as is, it seems like very good wax.
I don't really mind how far I go with it until I have to re-apply, if it looks good, it looks good.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:50 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoholic View Post
Well, I wanted to clay bar first but I was skeptical since we put extra clear coating on the vehicle. But as is, it seems like very good wax.
I don't really mind how far I go with it until I have to re-apply, if it looks good, it looks good.
Yep. ...and it comes off (when detailing) easily so you more inclined to re-apply it more often due to the less hassle.

Good stuff.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Yep. ...and it comes off (when detailing) easily so you more inclined to re-apply it more often due to the less hassle.

Good stuff.
Yes it is. I'm very glad with my purchase, I even let my friend bring his red Pontiac G6 GT over so he could wax it too! Very nice! Especially after waxing the chrome rims.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:28 PM   #20
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What ever you do to treat them, be careful washing and drying in the future to help avoid getting them. (Tougher to avoid with the dark colors) Avoiding automatic carwash is a good way to avoid them as well. The vehicle is never truly clean out of the tunnel, and then some kid starts rubbing the grit into the paint with towels.

Never use dishwashing liquid (too harsh) as it strips the wax and dries out the surface. Better to get even an inexpensive car wash in a jug.

Wash lightly top to bottom after a thorough rinse to get the loose stuff off. Use a good mitt and dunk it back in the suds often. Let the mitt and suds do the washing, no power scrubbing is needed usually. When you finnish the bottom, use another miit (downgraded from former front line status) to do the inside flare painted areas and any steps / accessories if you have them. I use that same mitt to do the rims.

I then use a crappy old mitt to the do the tires with what ever is left of the suds.

I dry with a warm water saturated (squeeze excess out as needed) chamois. The warm water really gets the chamois soft. I also pitch the chamois over the roof and hood and just kind of drag it back to me. Blot remaining droplets as needed. Less contact with the paint = less swirls.

I use a soft towel inside doors / jambs and then to dry the rims.
I do everything you tell me to. I mean I get serious with cleaning cars.