1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clay bar testing on my truck with some Zaino finish

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Blue Tango, May 30, 2009.

1. Jun 5, 2009 at 7:54 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I did mine a few weeks ago, and I reformed the clay just about every time I moved to a new spot. The clay deforms pretty quickly as you move it around, you'll know when it's time.

2. Jun 5, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    how new? shouldn't need to clay right away...it will take a little while for contaminents to build up on the paint. i waxed my truck the night after i brought it home. 2 coats meguire's NXT...even the door sills.

3. Jun 5, 2009 at 11:36 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    this thread sold me on the clay bar. going to get one right now! haha

4. Jun 5, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    22b22

22b22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California - East Bay
    Vehicle:
    03 DoubleCab PreRunner TRD SR5
    OME 881/N91S - front Wheeler 5-pack/N85 - rear
    I disagree. Rail dust is bad for paint and on just about every new vehicle. Road grime and contamination from the transport to the dealer lot and typical contaminants in rain from sitting on the dealers lot means clay from day 1 will make a difference.

When in doubt, put your hand in a ziplock bag and run it over your paint, it should be silent if there is no contaminants...

5. Jun 5, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    Blue Tango

Blue Tango [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hampton VA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Offroad Speedway Blue
    Westin Bull Bar
    Actually all new vehicles need clay. I assure you every vehicle on the lot whether new or used needs a clay session. Since most vehicles are shipped via train that right there puts a lot of metal contaminates on the paint. A guy I work with has a new white Pathfinder and I pointed out where those shaving are already starting to rust and leave spots in his clear coat. I would clay soon after purchase that way you have a clean slate to begin with. If you want to know if the paint is due put your hand in a sandwich bag after washing the car and rub the paint gently, that's the best way to see if you have a lot of crap on the paint.

Remember if you have swirl marks claying will not remove those and clay will strip all wax from your car. If you have swirl marks you need polish and make sure you finish off with a wax.

Edit:22b22 beat me to it.

6. Jun 5, 2009 at 12:12 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I had never heard of claybar before TW. I used the Turtle Wax Ice liquid claybar on my 02 Tacoma last summer.....the end result was mind blowing. The paint looked like a liquid...it was incredibly smooth....I was impressed.
    014_f6b43517e3a561534b041aab2f26e98a8f734e8e.jpg

7. Jun 5, 2009 at 12:33 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Ya gotta drop some bird shit on it to see if it slides off!!!

8. Jun 5, 2009 at 3:11 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    My son is a salesman at out local Jeep/Dodge dealer, and they clay a lot of the cars they get before putting them out on the lot or in the showroom for display.

9. Jun 5, 2009 at 3:25 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    They clay cars and them put them on the lot????? I find this incredulous.

10. Jun 5, 2009 at 3:27 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Sometimes they come in with some overspray and they need to clean them up. Makes perfect sense.

11. Jun 5, 2009 at 3:31 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    hmmmmmm......I continue to be extremely skeptical. I could see them claying a car in the showroom (and then probably just the hood and rear deck).....dealers just DO NOT do anything unless they are paid for it.

12. Jun 5, 2009 at 3:47 PM
    Blue Tango

Blue Tango [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hampton VA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Offroad Speedway Blue
    Westin Bull Bar
    When I bought my GTO the last owner was a detailing freak. She took it in once to have some warranty work done and despite her telling them not to clean it they washed it and left a lot of swirl marks on it. I simply do not trust a dealer or anyone really to clean my vehicle, most people don't know what they're doing or use crappy products. I could see them using clay to get a few very visible things off the paint if needed. Not saying it isn't possible there's a dealer that knows about real detailing.

13. Jun 5, 2009 at 4:27 PM
    bigyetti

bigyetti Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    asheville, nc
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 short bed
    sirius satilite radio, more on the way when i get more money. oh ya removed the secondary filter
    i also used the clay bar last week. Very impressed with it, well worth the $16 . highly recomended to all

14. Jun 5, 2009 at 5:07 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Think I'll clay bar my butt.

Products Discussed in

To Top