1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Body shop cant paint grille??

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Robocop, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Jun 15, 2009 at 11:46 PM
    Robocop

Robocop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Access Cab Gray Manual
    I stopped at a very well known body shop today and asked about painting my crappy chrome grille to match my truck color. The paint man said he could paint it however that it would not stick well at all. He said it would eventually look like crap even if he sanded and took his time with it.

I told him many here have had luck with simple fusion spray paint and he said over time they would all show bad signs of wear. he said my best option was to buy a plain unpainted grill without the fake chrome look and have him paint it to match. I can not imagine a high profile shop saying it is impossible to paint my factory grill.....does this sound like it could be true?

I just do not see how this could be true if the grille was sanded correctly removing the crappy chrome look it should be able to be painted....right? The labor and cost should be about the same so I cant understand why the paint shop would try to prevent me from using their services.....or why they would tell me no just to make me leave.

Any paint and body men want to give me their suggestions please?

2. Jun 16, 2009 at 2:45 AM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    He's not saying its impossible, he just wants you to have a quality product years down the road that he can stand behind.

3. Jun 16, 2009 at 4:07 AM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for the reply John and he did say he would try it if I wanted him to however he also said I would not be happy with the results. For some reason I really thought a professional shop could do this without any issues.

Is it somehow impossible to remove all of the chrome type finish for a good result? When I sanded my badges down it seemed pretty easy to get down to the plastic finish underneath and I assumed the grille was the same material.

4. Jun 16, 2009 at 4:38 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    He is looking at his reputation down the road. I'm going to guess this is a high quality shop and has plans on being around for a while.

5. Jun 16, 2009 at 11:55 AM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    I believe the chrome is a plating. It's fairly difficult to remove while still keeping the plastic smooth underneath.

6. Jun 16, 2009 at 11:58 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    True, I did some testing when I removed mine, (went to a color matched)
    was a pain, everything I uses messed up the plastic, I then went to sanding, what a mess.
    Personally for the cost and all, it's best to get a coor matched.

7. Jun 16, 2009 at 12:06 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    I think what the shop guy was saying was long term and the paint holding up.
    I know when I had to get my flare painted the shop stated he "would not" sand the texture off. Due to the paint sticking and long term life of it. Now I know nothing of all that, but the match was perfect.

8. Jun 16, 2009 at 12:09 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    I used to finance a company that made these plastic chrome grills. If you guys knew the complexity of the process to apply the chrome, you wouldn't be painting over it!!!

9. Jun 16, 2009 at 12:13 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    It was an insurance job, the flare was shot, and needed replaced. They come black and this one had a fine texture to it. They replaced the flare, paint, all new clips a got 4 newer mudflaps for around $800.
    Way to much in my book, but if I had to pay that much............well they may just come off.

10. Jun 16, 2009 at 12:17 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    I am sure if you check out trdparts4u you can get them cheaper. I did not know about this site, so...........
    I have picked up a number of items from them since, and the price was WAY cheaper than the strealers

11. Jun 16, 2009 at 1:05 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    You can get the stock flare, like when you buy the truck new. Not the custom fiberglass ones.
    As for spacers don't believe so, may need to hit spydertrax for those, but believe you are gonna have to wait.

12. Jun 16, 2009 at 1:08 PM
    Ty's Taco

Ty's Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner SR5 Sport Pearl Black
    Ask visa or my wife. They both constantly remind me how much I've got left to spend.
    Also another problem is the paint that toyota uses is a water based paint and this could have some problems with it adhering to the chrome. I had some pocket flares painted and my shop guy said that he would have to put a coat of adhesive primer down to give the paint something to bond with since this water based paint is a nightmare.

13. Jun 16, 2009 at 1:12 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    hum didn't know that, learn something new everyday.
    Does this mean that the touch up paint they sell is water based also?

14. Jun 16, 2009 at 1:54 PM
    Ty's Taco

Ty's Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner SR5 Sport Pearl Black
    Ask visa or my wife. They both constantly remind me how much I've got left to spend.
    I guess so, it's all about being environmentally conscience, which I don't have a problem with but I'm sure this is why toyota had such a problem a few years ago with their paint pealing. I think that they have it down now but I know that for a while they were having a lot of problems getting the water based stuff to stick.

15. Jun 16, 2009 at 1:56 PM
    09TRD

09TRD it is what it is

Member:
    Oakwood GA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Not yet,

Yea, I have a good friend that does repair/refinishing and he has told me the same thing.

16. Jun 16, 2009 at 1:57 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Well, I'll tell you, if it weren't for the containment vessels and computer controls, the chroming process is about as far from environmental as an alien with a ray gun. Very carefully controlled due to the toxicity of the chemicals used.

17. Jun 16, 2009 at 1:58 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    I saw how the Chevy Bowtie emblems are made...if anyone is interested, I'll explain it. It was sick.

18. Jun 16, 2009 at 2:28 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    I seriously doubt spray painted grilles will look very good in 2-3 years. The fact that my Taco with the stock chrome grille is now pitted tells you that these things get a beating out there. Spray paint is very soft. Factory paint is baked on and a heck of a lot harder. The chrome even more so. Trust me- I've done my fair share of spray painting and it does not hold up that well in regards to staying shiny and pretty looking.

19. Jun 16, 2009 at 3:05 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    A very wise view on the subject.

20. Jun 16, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I really believe I will try to find a factory magnetic gray grill or simply buy a bare grill and have it painted. I really believe the shop is correct in the abuse a grill will take.

Products Discussed in

To Top