LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Body shop cant paint grille??

Old 06-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
Robocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Robocop's Tacoma Gallery
Body shop cant paint grille??

I stopped at a very well known body shop today and asked about painting my crappy chrome grille to match my truck color. The paint man said he could paint it however that it would not stick well at all. He said it would eventually look like crap even if he sanded and took his time with it.

I told him many here have had luck with simple fusion spray paint and he said over time they would all show bad signs of wear. he said my best option was to buy a plain unpainted grill without the fake chrome look and have him paint it to match. I can not imagine a high profile shop saying it is impossible to paint my factory grill.....does this sound like it could be true?

I just do not see how this could be true if the grille was sanded correctly removing the crappy chrome look it should be able to be painted....right? The labor and cost should be about the same so I cant understand why the paint shop would try to prevent me from using their services.....or why they would tell me no just to make me leave.

Any paint and body men want to give me their suggestions please?
Old 06-16-2009, 04:07 AM   #3
Robocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Robocop's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for the reply John and he did say he would try it if I wanted him to however he also said I would not be happy with the results. For some reason I really thought a professional shop could do this without any issues.

Is it somehow impossible to remove all of the chrome type finish for a good result? When I sanded my badges down it seemed pretty easy to get down to the plastic finish underneath and I assumed the grille was the same material.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
I used to finance a company that made these plastic chrome grills. If you guys knew the complexity of the process to apply the chrome, you wouldn't be painting over it!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
Ty's Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Also another problem is the paint that toyota uses is a water based paint and this could have some problems with it adhering to the chrome. I had some pocket flares painted and my shop guy said that he would have to put a coat of adhesive primer down to give the paint something to bond with since this water based paint is a nightmare.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
Ty's Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I guess so, it's all about being environmentally conscience, which I don't have a problem with but I'm sure this is why toyota had such a problem a few years ago with their paint pealing. I think that they have it down now but I know that for a while they were having a lot of problems getting the water based stuff to stick.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #15
it is what it is
09TRD is on a distinguished road

09TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnecon2001 View Post
He's not saying its impossible, he just wants you to have a quality product years down the road that he can stand behind.

Yea, I have a good friend that does repair/refinishing and he has told me the same thing.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #16
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty's Taco View Post
I guess so, it's all about being environmentally conscience, which I don't have a problem with but I'm sure this is why toyota had such a problem a few years ago with their paint pealing. I think that they have it down now but I know that for a while they were having a lot of problems getting the water based stuff to stick.
Well, I'll tell you, if it weren't for the containment vessels and computer controls, the chroming process is about as far from environmental as an alien with a ray gun. Very carefully controlled due to the toxicity of the chemicals used.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #18
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
I seriously doubt spray painted grilles will look very good in 2-3 years. The fact that my Taco with the stock chrome grille is now pitted tells you that these things get a beating out there. Spray paint is very soft. Factory paint is baked on and a heck of a lot harder. The chrome even more so. Trust me- I've done my fair share of spray painting and it does not hold up that well in regards to staying shiny and pretty looking.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #19
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson1977 View Post
I seriously doubt spray painted grilles will look very good in 2-3 years. The fact that my Taco with the stock chrome grille is now pitted tells you that these things get a beating out there. Spray paint is very soft. Factory paint is baked on and a heck of a lot harder. The chrome even more so. Trust me- I've done my fair share of spray painting and it does not hold up that well in regards to staying shiny and pretty looking.
A very wise view on the subject.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #20

Robocop's Tacoma Gallery
I really believe I will try to find a factory magnetic gray grill or simply buy a bare grill and have it painted. I really believe the shop is correct in the abuse a grill will take.