Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Clearing the weathering on the headlights

Old 06-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
bboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to all

bboynowee's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Clearing the weathering on the headlights

So one of my head lights (the left one) looks like the sun has been beating on it and looks faded (hazy) rather than clear....what is the best way to clean that up?

-Nowee
Old 06-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45longcolt's Tacoma Gallery
I used one of those headlight polish kits and a Mothers Mini-ball polisher. It can be done by hand but the mini-power ball adapter for the drill makes it go so much faster. I used one such kit to remove 18K miles of road specks from a headlight assy. After the first few grit changes the lens looked almost opaque. But after the polishing with the mini-power ball, the lens came out crystal clear and new looking. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
bboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to all

bboynowee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45longcolt View Post
I used one of those headlight polish kits and a Mothers Mini-ball polisher. It can be done by hand but the mini-power ball adapter for the drill makes it go so much faster. I used one such kit to remove 18K miles of road specks from a headlight assy. After the first few grit changes the lens looked almost opaque. But after the polishing with the mini-power ball, the lens came out crystal clear and new looking. Good luck.
Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!....ok...well thanks for the great tip!!!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
the mothers mini ball and some meguiars plast-x works great.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:40 AM   #5
i miss my 04
rendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rendog's Tacoma Gallery
x2 powerball mini + cleaner wax

Old 06-30-2009, 06:01 AM   #6
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
the mothers mini ball and some meguiars plast-x works great.
X2.

Dont use Blue Magic!!!! It hazes soo bad
Old 06-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a kit at Autozone.... for my mother-in-laws Grand Cherokee. Her lights are HORRIBLE. I was thinking about using some of the stuff we have (polishing compounds, etc) but was afraid it might have a negative affect the plastic.

So -that's why I bought a special kit specifically for the pastic. It also has sealer stuff in it.

Dunno when I'll get a chance to work on it...but I'll try to remember to post picts/feedback. I hope it works. I bought it on a 'whim'.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:37 AM   #9
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45longcolt's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on that mini power ball. It can be done by hand but it will take hours to do it as well as the ball can in just few minutes.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
Sign Guy will become famous soon enough
Name: Brian
Sign Guy's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

I just used wax and my buffer. On the stubborn parts I added a little bit of polishing compound. Good as new!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
i miss my 04
rendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rendog's Tacoma Gallery
about a year after i did the powerball + wax job it faded again.

i wet sanded with 2000 grit paper then buffed out with powerball. came out clean as a whistle.

be sure to mask off before you scratch up your paint.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #13
saltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant future

Name: johnny
saltshaker's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #14
saltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant future

Name: johnny
saltshaker's Tacoma Gallery
both lights are original, I've always wondered why I have to keep polishing my headlights but the corners remain crystal clear.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #15
gtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to behold
gtrotter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
both lights are original, I've always wondered why I have to keep polishing my headlights but the corners remain crystal clear.
the heat the headlights create? That combined with debris hitting them at night( plastic softened?) could do that.