Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Rust proofing frame, axle??

Old 06-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
Quivira9 is on a distinguished road
Quivira9's Tacoma Gallery
Rust proofing frame, axle??

I have a new 09. The underside looks great, except three small one inch areas of surface rust on the rear axle. Two of them are exactly opposite location almost like that is where they lifted the truck or something...

anyways should I just ride it out and monitor it or should I try to sand it off or use a rust chemical thing that eats the rust....then prime and paint over it....

if you google it there is very little and confusing info...

what to use? what to paint? sanding, scraping or chemical? I look at the bottom of the truck and I can't imagine just painting stuff....the frame and axle -- (black metal areas yes, but what else?)

Confusing topic...any help from an expert? I don't want to jack something up by doing something to a brand new truck...

Old 07-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
yeah mine has some spots on the axle too on each side...i don't think it's a big deal...just surface rust...but you could get it off and paint it if you wanted to
Old 07-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
O.F.
bb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: JFK Center, Fort Bragg, NC
bb609's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota does a crappy job of painting the undersides of our trucks. Every time I rotate my tires, I get under the truck with a wire brush and a rattle can. The rear axle, front knuckles, and welds on the frame rust first, then random rust spots will appear occasionally on the frame. Just hit them with the brush and have a party with the rattle can! In time, it makes a difference.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
mgtaco is on a distinguished road
mgtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I saw this last weekend as well

Some spots of the frame have a little superficial rust. I think that, as it was said, it may be surface rust that developed in areas where the paint/protection was chipped due to contact during lifting/transportation. Also, the very top of the screws for the rear shocks show the same as well.

I wouldn't worry too much for surface rust. Whenever I'd get bored I'd get some sand paper or steel wool and clean then and spray them with this paint https://www.mclendons.com/img/products/10/10953072.jpg

You can purchase it for about $4 in the home depot.

That thing is really tough
Old 07-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
ghostboy808 is on a distinguished road
ghostboy808's Tacoma Gallery
Por 15

look into POR-15. It's expensive but probably the best rust inhibitor on the market.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:14 AM   #7
Quivira9 is on a distinguished road
Quivira9's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the info!
Old 07-20-2009, 04:23 AM   #8
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Check out some stuff called Rust Bullet.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:38 AM   #9
Coastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud of
Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate/PSU 309
Name: Andy
Coastie Joe's Tacoma Gallery
The wire brush and rattle can are the way to go... Cheap and it WORKS for years and years... Plus the stuff is like a buck at Walmart... I have always done that with no problems... Undercoat seems to hold dust and dirt and starts to look crappy... Where gloss black makes things look like new...