Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Guage cluster plasic has scratches

Old 07-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
ProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the rough
ProtoJ's Tacoma Gallery
Guage cluster plasic has scratches

Both my Toyotas have very scratched plastic over the guages. I've always used a microfiber cloth to clean, but it seems like dust even scratches it. In bright sun, you can barely read the guages. I've tried Mother plastic polish, but that didn't work. Is there any product that will fill in these scratches and is anyone elses guages scratched to hell?
Old 07-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!
fghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
fghtngsquirrel's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fghtngsquirrel
Mine have scratched bad on both of my Toyota's, my Matrix and Tacoma, so it might just be the plastic they use. Either way, it's very annoying.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
The first time I cleaned mine they looked foggy and I thought WTF is with this cheap ass plastic they are using.

Now I try to look on the bright side and figuring when I trade my truck next year they will be so scratched that I can paint on Really low odometer miles and they won't be the wiser
Old 07-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
My plastic thingy is scratched to hell as well. I would like to fix it, so I'm gonna check back.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!
fghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Me too, same scratched lens. But I learned after my first gen, now I use the air in a can, same stuff used for computer key boards and such.
I'll have to try this... I feel dumb for not thinking about this before!
Old 07-09-2009, 03:36 AM   #8
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Mine are scratched too , I saw some plastic scratch remover at the store, wonder if it would work? Kind of like the stuff to refinish headlights?
Old 07-10-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
e-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud of

e-rok's Tacoma Gallery
I have used Brasso to polish my scratched up Ipod, It worked great for that. I wonder if this would work on the plastic on the guages as it seems much softer then the plastic on my Ipod.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso
Old 07-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #11
The One, The Only
da0023 is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
turtle wax headlight restoration kit

call me crazy but i bought a turtle wax headlight restoration kit a few weeks back to clear up my headlights, anyway my gauge cluster plastic was in terrible shape and i have tried many different things to clean it without much avail. so i tried the clarifying coumpound that came with the kit and the results were impressive, it is now crystal clear. i have to apoligize since i have no pics. to back it up, but at the time I wasn't thinking that anybody else would be having this problem. but it definitely made a huge difference in my case. hope this helps
Old 07-11-2009, 03:39 AM   #12
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by da0023 View Post
call me crazy but i bought a turtle wax headlight restoration kit a few weeks back to clear up my headlights, anyway my gauge cluster plastic was in terrible shape and i have tried many different things to clean it without much avail. so i tried the clarifying coumpound that came with the kit and the results were impressive, it is now crystal clear. i have to apoligize since i have no pics. to back it up, but at the time I wasn't thinking that anybody else would be having this problem. but it definitely made a huge difference in my case. hope this helps

I was wondering about using that stuff. Thanks for the input .
Old 07-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #13
ProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the rough
ProtoJ's Tacoma Gallery
Scratch Free!

I bought this stuff called Quixx at Autozone today. I used it on the gauge plastic, stereo display, and time display. Basically you polish the plastic with a cloth and polish that the kit comes with and then wipe down the plastic with a damp micro fiber. It looks crystal clear now. About 95% of the scratches are completely gone! There was even a deep scratch on the stereo display that it removed completely.

http://www.quixx-usa.com/
Old 07-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #14
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
I have those annoying scratches too! I tried the Mequiars Plastix stuff and it did not work. Thanks for the 2 products mentioned, I am going to try it out too.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #15
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoJ View Post
I bought this stuff called Quixx at Autozone today.
I'll have to try this stuff.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #16
Danzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Danzer's Tacoma Gallery
I'll have to try one of those. I hate those scratches.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #17
militaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to behold

militaco's Tacoma Gallery
I went down to Checkers in Hawaii and picked up a bottle of the Quixx and yes indeed alomst 95% of the scratches were removed......in the process however i was charged $15 for the bottle which also comes with a cloth and two sand papers.....i feel like i was raped!!!!!!!! Since i spent $15, i decided what the hell and see if it could also work on my tacoma '99 standard cab headlights......in the past i tried meguiar's platix and nothing, but with this Quixx, in a couple of minutes the oxidation came right off......for me, definitely worth the $15. Here are some pics of the headlights, its kinda dark right now for the gauges.

1. the first pic is both headlights with only the passenger side cleaned
2. the second pic is a close up of the cleaned head light
3. the third pic is a close up of the uncleaned head light
4. the last pic is the packaging for Quixx.

BIg props to ProtoJ
Attached Thumbnails
Guage cluster plasic has scratches-picture-017.jpg   Guage cluster plasic has scratches-picture-018.jpg   Guage cluster plasic has scratches-picture-019.jpg   Guage cluster plasic has scratches-picture-028.jpg  
Old 07-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #18
Danzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Danzer's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^ That made a big difference. I guess I'll get the Quixx brand. Thanks for the pics.