LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

meguiars Plastx

Old 07-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
meguiars Plastx

i tried this today on one of my customers cars today. on the headlights to be exact. and its didnt do jack sh#$ anybody got any clues as to why it didnt work? i was trying to save some money and not go for the restore kit unless i had to but now it looks like im gonna have to.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
The clown has no penis...
smallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to all

Name: Brian
smallcandle's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know about the Plastx, but I used the Restore Kit last week on my wife's 03 4Runner and now the headlights look brand new.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yeah i know those things really work. but this stuff doesnt do a thing
Old 07-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
ive used it and it works great. Maybe you were doing it wrong?
Old 07-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #5

how did you apply it? i went by the bottle. it didnt do anything except spread the haze around alittle. the abrasives in the chemical must only respond to certain types of plastics or something thats all i can figure.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
I just dumped some on a rag, and rubbed till my arm felt like it was on fire, then kept going for a bit. Both sides took maybe 15 mins total, together.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #7

so a combo of friction and time. ahhhh. that may be the ticket. ill give it a try. couldnt a power buffer work in this instance as well??
Old 07-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
I got fisted

Firefighter:
dunno..dont own one..lol
Old 07-12-2009, 07:13 AM   #9

ill have to give that a try next time i use it then.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
lasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant future
Navy: Lead PO Submarine Reactor Control Dvision
lasllc's Tacoma Gallery
if you use a power tool make sure that you use it on a VERY low speed, LIGHT pressure, and keep it MOVING; in addition you better have the right type of backing plate as well as applicator. If you burn the plastic there is ABSOLUTELY no recourse except buying new.

That Maquires stuff, as well as most others are simply very light polishing compounds - they REQUIRE that you do a little more than just rub it around.
Also, they usually are not very effectual on plastics that need some real attention.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #11

yeah i realized this again today. im just gonna have to go and buy a restore kit and use that.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
i tried this today on one of my customers cars today. on the headlights to be exact. and its didnt do jack sh#$ anybody got any clues as to why it didnt work? i was trying to save some money and not go for the restore kit unless i had to but now it looks like im gonna have to.
i have used the plast-x and a mothers powerball mini with my cordless drill, and it did pretty well that way.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #13

really? well i guess its me then. but these headlights on this car that im gonna do are really bad. ive already looked at them and i tried some yesterday on another cars headlights. it really didnt do anything. and if people are paying me for it. i want the job done well. know what i mean
Old 07-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
If it's real bad, just use sand paper and get the oxidized layer off. Maybe start with 400 and go in increments to 2000 then polish. There are many good posts on the internet and utube showing how to do it.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:22 AM   #15
i miss my 04
rendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rendog's Tacoma Gallery
get a mothers powerball mini worked good for my headlights. just used some cleaner wax and did both lights in under 5 minutes.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:34 AM   #16
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
3m has something like that, its called the 3m perfect-it 3000. Its about 30 bucks for a quart of it. I discovered it at a body shop, the guy told me that it would clear my lights in about 3-4 tries.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #17
militaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to behold

militaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quixx works like a champ........check it out.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...scratches.html
Old 07-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #18
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Meguiar's makes a headlight restoration kit. 4" wool pad, drill adapter and plastX. Works pretty good for OTC. If you are looking for some else, check these out

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-430-a...g-kit-new.aspx

THey have the adaptor for the drill and a D/A polisher (porter cable 7424XP) plus, 4 of the pads in different cutting power. Put some of the plastX on the orange pad and have at a section. If it is working move on. If not, use the yellow pad and keep finishing down to the white pad. (black is for like waxes). Those headlights will look real nice. A good clay job will help the polishing step along nicely.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #19
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t1RBw0IGXA worked great on my daughters Honda. They were yellow with hardly any light, after like brand new and clear as glass. It didn't work on my wife's Buick, but I think the yellow was on the inside. Tried the Plastx. That did nothing but was only $5 so I thought it was worth a shot. The 3M is about $20 on the internet. Didn't find it at the parts store.