Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Engine Cover: How I dun it.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:02 PM   #22
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Damn that looks good!
Old 07-16-2009, 03:52 AM   #23
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiko View Post
good JOB..

What kind of paper did you used for mask.
Just some old printer paper I had lying around and run of the mill masking tape.

Daytime shots:

It's a little easier to see the shade difference between the paint on the cover and the truck in these daylight shots, but it's still damn close. You can also see some mottling of the paint. I might do another coat or two to even it out...maybe. Not sure I feeling like going through the masking process again.

An important thing to note is that the paint on the *underside* of the hood most closely matches the lighting conditions on the engine cover...if I took it out and put it on top, it'd look lighter, like the front fender.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #25
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Drove it today for about 15 miles/20 minutes in city traffic with plenty of acceleration, and it was about 90 degrees outside, so that got the engine compartment good and hot. Inspected it hot right when I got home and there was no melting or bubbling, and vigorous rubbing with a finger did not disturb the paint. The engine cover was very warm to the touch when I checked it (immediately after parking the truck), but you could still rest your palm on it without becoming uncomfortable.

Looks like the RustOleum is able to hold up to the engine heat well enough, despite their 200F or less warning on the can.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #26
mpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Heavy Repair CE
Name: Mike and Denise
mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
Damn I wish the 4 banger had an engine cover. It looks great.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #27
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
nice job, damn clean engine bay [jealous] and sweet link
Old 07-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #28
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #29
Logically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to all

Name: Wes
Logically Insane's Tacoma Gallery
I'd love to do this to match my Silver. Anyone know where I can get a Silver replica?
Also, how do I get the cover off? Its too cold for me to look right now, so maybe its just a looksy kinda deal.

Nice job man. I totally love that.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logically Insane View Post
I'd love to do this to match my Silver. Anyone know where I can get a Silver replica?
Also, how do I get the cover off? Its too cold for me to look right now, so maybe its just a looksy kinda deal.

Nice job man. I totally love that.

Taking the engine cover off is a snap...two or three bolts and you're set...they're somewhere between 10 and 14mm, I don't remember exactly.

I got lucky that some rustoleum paint almost exactly matched SWB. If you want to play it safe with a color match, you'd have to consult a paint store.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #31
Cwhitt09taco will become famous soon enoughCwhitt09taco will become famous soon enough
Name: Cody
Cwhitt09taco's Tacoma Gallery
Great job!
Old 02-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #32
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
you gonna get "miss blue" dirty at our next uwharrie meet?
Old 02-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #33
Logically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to all

Name: Wes
Logically Insane's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Taking the engine cover off is a snap...two or three bolts and you're set...they're somewhere between 10 and 14mm, I don't remember exactly.

I got lucky that some rustoleum paint almost exactly matched SWB. If you want to play it safe with a color match, you'd have to consult a paint store.

Thanks. I think I have some paint that might work.. I'll be looking around.
Appreciated.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
you gonna get "miss blue" dirty at our next uwharrie meet?

It depends. I want to get the lift and new shoes on before I get into anything serious offroad, and I want to do that right. Looking at Fox or Icon remote resi systems front and rear with the toytec TSB AAL and either Camburg or TC UCAs.

Still doing my research.

What I'm having trouble deciding on is which of the following to do:

- 3" lift
- 33s
- Regear diffs

or

- 2 - 2.5" lift
- 32s
- Leave diffs.

Either way, 2.5 inch remote resis all around, new UCAs, and new shoes aren't gonna be cheap. I *should* have it ready in time for summer, but I can't say for sure. I have some mountaineering trips out west (Mt. Whitney in Cali and Cirque of the Towers in Wyoming) this summer as well and those ain't cheap. May not get there til 2011.

But it's in the cards. I'll def. be down at your place for the March 13/14 mod day to get my grillecraft in. Pulling the trigger on a color matched grille surround in next week or so.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #35
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
It depends. I want to get the lift and new shoes on before I get into anything serious offroad, and I want to do that right. Looking at Fox or Icon remote resi systems front and rear with the toytec TSB AAL and either Camburg or TC UCAs.

Still doing my research.

What I'm having trouble deciding on is which of the following to do:

- 3" lift
- 33s
- Regear diffs

or

- 2 - 2.5" lift
- 32s
- Leave diffs.

Either way, 2.5 inch remote resis all around, new UCAs, and new shoes aren't gonna be cheap. I *should* have it ready in time for summer, but I can't say for sure. I have some mountaineering trips out west (Mt. Whitney in Cali and Cirque of the Towers in Wyoming) this summer as well and those ain't cheap. May not get there til 2011.

But it's in the cards. I'll def. be down at your place for the March 13/14 mod day to get my grillecraft in. Pulling the trigger on a color matched grille surround in next week or so.
sounds like you got some pretty damn good plans man. but to be honest.......i dont think you'll need to regear just for 33's. you may notice a bit of a difference....and i say "may" lightly. either way....have fun with the mountaineering trips. the mod day will be fun.