1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Cover: How I dun it.

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by jandrews, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Jul 15, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    jandrews

jandrews [OP] Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Well all, got the engine cover painted tonight and shoved back in the truck (after dark).

Here be the story:

So I had the cover out and all masked up, ready to be painted. As she looked:

[​IMG]

I checked the directions on the primer and spray paint and noticed the clear instructions:

"Use in an open air and well ventilated area, like an open garage."

"Ok" I asked my brain, "Can we do it in a closed air, poorly ventilated area like the apartment bathroom?"

"I don't see why not." my brain replied. So I got about setting up a painting area in the ol' commode:

[​IMG]

Primed it....

[​IMG]

Got a few coats on, and voila! 45 minutes and 5 to 10,000,000 dead brain cells later I emerged from the WC, light headed and victorious, clutching my newly painted engine cover like a small child who had just received a Nintendo 64 for Christmas.

[​IMG]

I promptly took it out into the dark evening and set it on the hood to take bad pictures with a lot of enthusiasm. It's hard to tell, but the color match is almost perfect:

[​IMG]

And a few more looks of it back in the bay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Daytime shots:

It's a little easier to see the shade difference between the paint on the cover and the truck in these daylight shots, but it's still damn close. You can also see some mottling of the paint. I've considered re-masking and adding another coat, but I wonder if it'd get darker still and start to look further from speedway blue. I've decided I'm willing to live with it since it's under the hood most of the time and less noticeable without flash photography.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feedback welcome!

2. Jul 15, 2009 at 6:52 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    good job man.....looks kickass. brain cells......what the hell are those anyway?:D

3. Jul 15, 2009 at 6:52 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Very nice... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

4. Jul 15, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    Painted engine cover > brain cells anyway

5. Jul 15, 2009 at 7:04 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    what paint color did you use? generic wal-mart blue or was that some kind of duplicolor match to toyota speedway blue? also did you use clear over it?

6. Jul 15, 2009 at 7:11 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I got lucky. Went to Lowe's and took what they had. Primed with RustOleum Professional Primer and the paint was Rustoleum Metallic with the cap color that most closely matched my truck.

Just happened to turn out really really well. It's maybe one shade darker than my actual truck, but a caranuba wax job would match em up perfectly. Unless you're looking for it, you can't tell the difference.

No clear cover, just the primer and paint.

I'll get some daylight pictures tomorrow.

7. Jul 15, 2009 at 7:15 PM
    HBtacoma

HBtacoma SoCal Tacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Huntington Beach
    || Deep Black Custom Paint By DUPONT FINISHES w/ Custom Airbrush Artwork || RCD 4.5 Inch Lift Kit || 20x10 Black XD Monster Wheels w/ Toyo MT 33x12.5x20 Tires || SATOSHI Grill || URD TCAI || Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust || Pioneer AVIC-D3 w/ Bluetooth and Ipod || JL Audio 500/1 and 12" Kicker Sub || FJ 60 Toyota Emblem Painted Red || Black Custom Leather Interior w/graphite perforated body w/Red Double Stiching and TRD Logo || Leather Arm Rest Mod || T-REX Angry Eyelids || 20% Tinted Windows || Black Altezza Taillights || BHLM Headlights || LED Dome Light || LED Map Lights || HID 35w 6000k || Yellow Tinted Fogs || Nokya 2500k_55w Fog Lights || Painted Engine Cover || Bed Extender || Epic Indust. Bed Bar w/Fog Lamps Tinted Yellow ||
    nice job!

8. Jul 15, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I went through the same childish excitment when I finally unmasked my engine cover. The wife was not nearly as impressed as I was. She just rolled her eyes :rolleyes:

Don't worry, the excitement subsides when you don't open your hood for another month or more. But when you do...BAMM - she's purrrrdy!

9. Jul 15, 2009 at 7:37 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Looks good :thumbsup:

10. Jul 15, 2009 at 7:56 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
  11. Jul 15, 2009 at 8:00 PM
    BAP_29

BAP_29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100s at 2.5" and Toytec 1.5" AAL Eagle Alloy 063 Wheels on 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ tires Alpine iDA-X305 Head Unit MB Quart DKD 116 Discus-Line 6.5" Front Speakers (Baffles by Marv) Alpine 6-Disk CD Changer Toyota All-Weather Floor Mats Kobalt Low-Profile Toolbox 13" Wicked Flow Muffler w/ Chrome Tip
    wow that looks really good man. nice job

12. Jul 15, 2009 at 8:11 PM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    preeeetttyyyy!

13. Jul 15, 2009 at 8:18 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    My one recommendation to anyone planning on doing this is take plenty of time when masking the cover. Getting masking tape to fit the curves of the design properly takes a lot of patience, a little luck, and some deft fingerwork.

The nice thing about masking tape is it's a bit flexible, and so is its adhesive, so you can apply it and then "nudge" it 1-2mm in various directions...almost like molding a very thin layer of clay.

It took quite a while (roughly two hours) to mask it down to the detailed corners, but I'm glad I put in the extra time. I don't have any "hatching" around the edges where straight lines were pieced together, nor any notches in straight areas where different sections of tape were uneven. It looks *very* close to being a factory job.

If you're gonna take the time to do it...might as well do it right.

14. Jul 15, 2009 at 8:23 PM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    Looks nice man.

Sorry to ruin your fun and all (mine as well) but it still gets dirty. :( I looked at mine the other day for the first time in a while. I almost cried. :rain:

15. Jul 15, 2009 at 8:26 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Just hit it with some compressed air every couple weeks when you wash it. That should do the job. Maybe a quick rinse every now and again too.

16. Jul 15, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    Yeah. I usually take mine off and just hand wash it. Well, I do now. Then I didn't. I have a couple things painted. That one thing (engine cover) just looked out of place by itself.

17. Jul 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Looks AWESOME! Where did you get that paint?

18. Jul 15, 2009 at 8:42 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Lowes. Scroll up and read.

I have some left over, could even supply you with batch number, pictures, etc. if you want.

The cap looks darker than the SWB paint, but it worked out. It was the only blue Rustoleum spray paint they had in stock with a metallic finish.

19. Jul 15, 2009 at 9:00 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Ah, missed that post.:eek: Yeah, I'd appreciate a batch #. :cool:

20. Jul 15, 2009 at 9:22 PM
    mitiko

mitiko Well-Known Member

Member:
    lax
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner trd
    good JOB..

What kind of paper did you used for mask.

Products Discussed in

To Top