Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Headlamp Restoration

Old 07-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
WV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to behold
WV_Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Headlamp Restoration

If you want to make your headlamps look like new or restore them to a much, much better quality follow these steps.

I purchased a kit for Plastik lens cleaning to restore headlamps from a expensive detail shop(auto-geeks, Wolfgang cleaning kit). I believe you can do it with a cheap set up.

This system is SICK!!!! I have done every ones lenses that I know. It is really remarkable. I am sure you can buy one of the cheaper systems from the auto stores.......I hear Walmart is performing them now also.......I will be doing my about every year I expect. So it is worth it to me.

About $50 for my system...

The kit came with;

**1-Plastic lens-Liquid cleaner...slight abrasive gritty paste
**1-Plastic lens-Glaze, slick oily base..says clarifies and shines
**1-Plastic surface sealant...UV protectant
**1-4" orange polishing pad....med-hvy foam pad for abrasion,compounding,polishing
**1-4" black pad.....soft foam used to apply final steps for this and or waxing your car/truck

Use in same order...with a drill or buffer, about Med-high speed on my 12v drill---Cheap walmart buffer use the one speed...The different foam I think helps polish the lens>>>Which is Very critical to the cleaning.

Polish per the directions. mine was till haze is almost dry...Maybe 3mins....The others are just dressing and could be applied by hand I would assume....

I did not think about any pics......My 2005 lenses that have been outside for its life....looks like 10day old headlamps now....Freaking awsome...

I will do my Girlfriend and post the pics on here later, hers headlamps are a bit yellowed and dingy...Will make a good showing!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DOING THIS OR GETTING IT DONE!! 5 thumbs up....

Email if you have any questions

WV_Tacoma
Attached Thumbnails
Headlamp Restoration-lens-products.jpg   Headlamp Restoration-both-dirty.jpg   Headlamp Restoration-left-dirty.jpg   Headlamp Restoration-left-clean.jpg   Headlamp Restoration-right-dirty.jpg  

Old 07-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
Rangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant future

Army: 75th Ranger Regiment
Rangerpeterson's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good do you have any pics?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
stock02 is on a distinguished road
Marines: Sgt
stock02's Tacoma Gallery
I used the 3M kit and i bought it for $22. It worked awesome on my truck. I reccomend it to anybody, I'll try to have some pics by tomorrow. It did take a while, and you need a good drill.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Please post pics. One of my headlights is older than the other and therefore one appears yellow/faded. I was just going to replace them but perhaps I should give this a try. I didn't think that a restoration kit could do much since again it's faded (or appears), but I'd like to see the difference the kit makes. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
militaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to behold

militaco's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/detailing/43815-guage-cluster-plasic-has-scratches.h

Check out #17 in this post.......you can do it for $15

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...scratches.html
Old 07-23-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! It looks like it might do the trick. I'll swing by Checkers tomorrow or so and try it out. Thanks again!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by militaco View Post
Check out #17 in this post.......you can do it for $15

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...scratches.html
Thanks! I did it today.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...headlamps.html
Old 07-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
WV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to behold
Photos

I didn't have any pics before of my Taco...........BUT

Here is my GF car.....Just did these tonight...Took all of 20mins to do...Her Car is a Honda 2004, keep outside. Lamps were starting to get yellow/chalked/discolored.....Now you be the judge....

I am telling you this shit ROCKS...
Attached Thumbnails
Headlamp Restoration-lens-products.jpg   Headlamp Restoration-both-dirty.jpg   Headlamp Restoration-left-dirty.jpg   Headlamp Restoration-left-clean.jpg  
Old 07-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Whoa!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
militaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to behold

Wow WV adn cmack48, that looks awesome, those headlamps do look brand new, great job.........i guess theere are more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #11
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by militaco View Post
Wow WV adn cmack48, that looks awesome, those headlamps do look brand new, great job.........i guess theere are more than one way to skin a cat.
Thank you for recommending the Quixx!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #12

No problem.....i actually got the advice from ProtoJ. Glad to hear it worked for you.......feels better with clean headlights huh
Old 07-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
fells MUCH better
Old 07-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #14
Csmack did you use a power buffer or drill? What model is your truck that you did the headlights?

I have had the same results now on 4 cars...!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #15
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I just used the Polish cloth that it came with and did it by hand. I'll probably end up using a drill when the time comes to do it again simply because it's easier and probably more effective. My truck is a 1999 Xtra Cab with the 3.4 L V6 and 4x4. I also did my KC's. They didn't really need it but I figured I had nothing to loose by doing it. Yours probably produces better results, but it was only $12.49 total. And I don't have a lot of money to throw at my truck at this point in time.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #16
Yours looks good. I think part of it is the condition of the lens to begin with. Nice work...Feels good doing something on your own and not paying someone else to do it!!!!

Glad we are all happy with a product!!!! Cheers my friend
Old 07-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #17
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. Yours came out better though I think. Well my pictures make my lens look better than it was. It look terrible. Now it looks a lot better. And yes, it feels a lot better doing it on your own rather than paying someone else to do it!

Cheers!
Old 07-23-2009, 09:39 PM   #18
Right on.....Now go try some Clay bar to do the paint.........It will remove stuff you never thought would go away, plus bugs and Opossum guts! And it makes waxing by hand or machine way more better:-)
Old 07-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #19
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I'll have to do that whenever the Arizona monsoon season is over. But thanks for the tip.