1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CLAY Must for Detailing

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by WV_Tacoma, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Jul 20, 2009 at 8:51 PM
    WV_Tacoma

WV_Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington, WV
    Vehicle:
    05 Pre, DBL Cab
    Not enough
    If you want to remove bugs, oil, tar, chicken guts, cat brains....CLAY....This is the best thing since twist off beer bottles!!

I mean this stuff works..I will never be without Clay again....

A few bucks at any auto store...buy the cheapest...And I don't use the spray wax with the clay..I use my auto wash soap...NOT DISH SOAP....All it does is act like a lubricant....

Works on plastic too.

I purchased an expensive porter-cable, waxes, polishes.....

If I were on a budget, I would buy CLAY, and a cheap-O-walmart buffer and wax or better, a synthetic sealant(lasts longer) and I think get just about as good a job as with my expensive stuff which was $500.00 bucks.

The reason I purchased all that is to get cut the bug matter, small deposits that the walmart buffer would not....And the Expensive does not, unless you cut the coating pretty deeply....Not good....

The Clay lifts the bugs off like glue, tiny little who the hell knows what right out of the tiny little poors from the paint...BUFFING WILL NOT...

I have a White truck, you can barely see the little shits on the paint, but if you get close you see them everywhere, takes a while but once you get them all off they make a difference.

Plus it removes all the impurities collected over time....Wash your truck, run your hand over the surface, you will feel small amounts of snags, like sandpaper....Clay lifts this in just a few swipes....

YOU HAVE TO USE THIS AT LEAST 1 PER YEAR....MUST if you are more into your vehicle. If you do more then just run your truck through a automatic car wash then you MUST GET CLAY..and buy if from me...just kidding...I don't see clay...lol

5 thumbs up for this one

2. Jul 20, 2009 at 8:53 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    what about clay bar?

3. Jul 20, 2009 at 9:06 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    I use meguiars clay bar, that works pretty damn good, its just that i don't know if i'd be able to do my WHOLE truck. I just spot tested on my hood and it was pretty damn awesome.:D

4. Jul 20, 2009 at 9:08 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    id imagine its very time consuming

5. Jul 20, 2009 at 9:16 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Yea but it leaves it looking and feeling like glass. very very nice, but not something id wanna do alone or in this type of weather. maybe in the winter:D

6. Jul 20, 2009 at 9:34 PM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    i'm actually getting ready to spend all day friday detailing my truck (weather permitting in wv). and the clay bar is my second step after washing. i bought the meguiars kit and i cannot wait either. i have so many bugs on my front end it is rediculous!

7. Jul 20, 2009 at 9:40 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    claybarring is awesome, and makes polishing and waxing so much easier. i use clay magic clay, and also mothers and meguiars clays. the turtle wax ice liquid clay bar doesnt work well at all. stick with regular automotive clay......works great.

8. Jul 20, 2009 at 9:45 PM
    SoCal Tom

SoCal Tom Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Double Cab
    A trick I learned is to use the clay bar right after you wash the truck but before you rinse. I think the soap works just as well as the spray detailer the clay bar comes with and it makes the job much easier! Give it a try. I think you'll like it.

9. Jul 20, 2009 at 9:52 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    sweetness! yea when i did it, it was after i rinsed and dried. but i'll do it like that and try it out!

10. Jul 20, 2009 at 10:16 PM
    WV_Tacoma

WV_Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington, WV
    Vehicle:
    05 Pre, DBL Cab
    Not enough
    MUHS7 the Resident detailer. 1st and permenant thread in detailers forum is the Best most informative I have ever seen..Must read on detailing...Covers all this...

I wouldn't use the clay bar on dirty wash soap, it will pick up the dirt you washed off. I like to use cleaner bucket wash soap, but the same concept..I don't waste my detailer mist on the clay.

Took me a couple days of on and off claying....BUT man is it worth it to people that are picky like me...I love it so much going to shit can my crud collected one tomorrow and get another fresh on....

If you drop it I wouldn't use it again...It will scratch the hell out of it....

11. Jul 21, 2009 at 12:20 AM
    Kenny650

Kenny650 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Claybaring get's really annoying after doing it for 5 minutes...

12. Jul 21, 2009 at 9:29 AM
    mr2crazed

mr2crazed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Morro Bay, CA.
    Vehicle:
    06 DC PreRunner SR5
    I ended up using a clay bar for the top of the cab because the finish was in need of attention. I don't think the PO waxed this portion too often like the rest of the truck.

I'm pleased with the results, but it was time consuming.

13. Jul 22, 2009 at 4:18 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    If you guys want to see if you need a clay bar, take a plastic sandwich baggie and put your hand in it. Then rub your paint. I bet it feels like sandpaper. Even if your JUST got a brand new '09 shiney Taco. You will be surprised on how much crap is in that clear.

The clay bar takes out road junk, rail dust etc out of the paint. Having this stuff on your paint makes polishing and waxing harder. It also takes away from your finish. Do 1/2 your hood with clay/polish/wax and the other 1/2 polish/wax and see what's better.

If you really care about your paint, you should clay. That rail dust is a killer. What's that you say? "I don't live near any rail tracks".... well, most new vehicles come on rails and/or are located near rail depots before they hit the lot.

Sometimes, if your paint is real bad you will need an aggressive clay. However, you will need to polish as the aggressive clay will most likely mar the paint. For most people, any OTC clay will work. The Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit is probally the best deal at Wal-Mart.

As for lube, if you get the above kit it comes with a QD and a MF Towel, if not use your car wash soap 2:1 for a nice slippery surface.

Most problems are on the flat surfaces and behind the wheels. It really doesn't take as long as you think.

14. Jul 25, 2009 at 7:01 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Where can I get just the bars for a good price? I got 2 or 3 kits. The bars get dirty and I have plenty of lube left over. Don't need to pay for anymore lube but the kit is all I see in the store. Thanks.

15. Jul 25, 2009 at 7:26 AM
    dennyct@hotmail.com

dennyct@hotmail.com Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida & New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Sport
    Estang Tri-Fold
    I wash my truck, then towel dry, then use Mother's Clay Bar system with the detailer, then I wash it again and dry with a towel and then I use Turtle Wax Ice. No dirt sticks to it, even after it rains. the only thing that sticks is bird sh*t, which I take off with Windex and a paper towel. Check out the pics:

mvc-593f.jpg
    mvc-594f.jpg
    mvc-595f.jpg
    mvc-596f.jpg

16. Jul 25, 2009 at 7:44 AM
    phynyx38

phynyx38 Believe

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma PreRunner
    ^^^ Looks good.

17. Jul 25, 2009 at 7:23 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Well, just so you know all the clay that is sold comes from 1 company. It is just repackaged. Auto Magic has the patent I think. That being said, I have found a few things about clay bars. I use the Meguiar's due to the fact that it is cheap at Wal-Mart (<$16) for 2x50g bars,lube,mf towel and sample of cleaner wax. The meguiars clay is soft and a tad gummy. It does work, just need to rub and pay attention to look for spots on paint.

I have tried Adam's Polishes version of the clay and it worked a tad better. Dunno way. I still go with the meguiar's. I will rub harder with the clay in order to save a buck or to. Plus the Meguiar's is OTC.

If you want to try something different than OTC check out:
    www.washwayusa.com

They have some cheap clay. Stay away from the aggessive clay as you will def need to polish as the clay will mar the paint.

18. Aug 2, 2009 at 2:24 PM
    JackedTaco

JackedTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    USA, Earth...
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD Off Road
    Weathertech Mats, Thule rack custom install on bed caps. Foglite anytime mod. K&N air filter. Rear leaf TSB. Tinted passenger windows. TRD CAt Back exhaust. Bilstein 5100 front shocks at 1.75".
    Clayed my truck for the first time today. What a difference!!!
    I washed truck yesterday. Never drove it, then clayed it and waxed it today with Meguires NXT 2.0.
    IT looks insane! I could not believe the amount of crap that was in my clearcoat and how smooth the finish is now.
    Great product, i used Meguires Clay kit, will definately use again when appropriate!!

19. Aug 6, 2009 at 11:00 AM
    otter

otter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    MI
    Vehicle:
    09 4 cyl Reg Cab
    Those complaining about how long it takes to clay - if you're spending more than 5-10 minutes on it, you're taking too long. As someone mentioned above, clay after you've soaped up the car but before you rinse, one section at a time. It can be done pretty quickly, just use very light pressure and knead the clay often. I haven't clayed the tacoma yet, but I can usually clay my car in 5-6 minutes.

20. Aug 6, 2009 at 11:28 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Depending on how much gunk you have in your paint will determine how long it takes to clay. Put your hand in a sandwich baggie and feel the paint. If you lightly clay a surface with some bumps on it you will still have bumps. As the sandwich baggie will show you. Get some good clay. No sense rubbing your paint if you don't remove anything.

Products Discussed in

To Top