Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Replacing rusty body panels

Old 07-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
cntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
cntstan's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing rusty body panels

Sorry to post this in the detailing forum but I don't see another appropriate forum to ask this......(body work forum?). Anyway, I just swapped a guy my 89' wrangler for a 94' bronco. The bronco needs some panels replaced due to rust and I've gotten a good start. I've cut out and welded in a replacement for the right rear quarter panel. I've ground the welds down some and I think it's almost ready for filler. My question is: Is Bondo the next step? If so, do you follow the Bondo up with a thinner filler to fill in the shallow spots or just use straight Bondo all the way? Also, someone told me not to grind the welds flush because the metal will get too thin around the welds, does this sound correct? The metal did not warp too much ( I went really slow ) but there are some low spots that need to be filled in.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say rough-in with Bondo, finish with Bondo glazing putty, and paint.

Regarding the welds, as long as the welds are good and the ground-down areas are no thinner than the surrounding sheetmetal you should be fine. With sheetmetal you're pretty much guaranteed complete penetration of the weld.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
cntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
cntstan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
I'd say rough-in with Bondo, finish with Bondo glazing putty, and paint.

Regarding the welds, as long as the welds are good and the ground-down areas are no thinner than the surrounding sheetmetal you should be fine. With sheetmetal you're pretty much guaranteed complete penetration of the weld.
Thanks for the info.! That's kind of what I thought I should do.