Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Restoration of Headlamps

Old 07-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Restoration of Headlamps

I know there are other threads dedicated to this and I'm sorry if I'm duplicating another thread, but I restored one of my headlamps and I took lots of pictures so I thought I'd post them. Thanks you very much militaco for recommending the right product to use. I used Quixx Scratch Remover for $12.49 (not including tax).

It includes a tube of polish/paste, a polishing cloth, and two strips of sandpaper (1600 grit).

Here's my story: I had my passenger's side headlamp was faded and yellow from the sun since it's the original one. My driver's side headlamp appears new since it was replaced by the original owner at some point in time. Well this annoyed the hell out of me having one yellow and one clear. So I was going to simply replace the passenger's side headlamp since I thought there was no way of restoring it to that new condition. Well I came across another thread on here about this Quixx Scratch Remover. It worked well for militaco's and so I figured what the hell it's not a huge loss if it doesn't work. Well I ran over to Checkers, got it, came home, and set to work.

Before Picture:

After Picture:

I also decided to just do a little bit on my KC's. I wasn't expecting huge results, but I figured it couldn't hurt. I don't know if there's much of a difference in them.

Before:

After:

Then all of them together.

It's about the best I can do without replacing the headlamp . Overall, I'm a happy camper.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great Connor, now wash that truck!
Old 07-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Looks great Connor, now wash that truck!
Thanks. I washed it about a week and a half ago.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack48 View Post
Thanks. I washed it about a week and a half ago.
I know. seems you got stuck in the only rain in Arizona this year.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
My brother has a 98' Avalon with 265,000 miles. The lights on his looked AWFUL. You could barely see through them. For the hell of it I got out my can of turtle polishing compound and polished them up. It worked pretty damned good. The lights look like new. The best part is that polishing compound is like $3 a can.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know. seems you got stuck in the only rain in Arizona this year.
I felt better though when Brian told me how he washed and waxed his on the same day that I did. And then both of our work got destroyed.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson1977 View Post
My brother has a 98' Avalon with 265,000 miles. The lights on his looked AWFUL. You could barely see through them. For the hell of it I got out my can of turtle polishing compound and polished them up. It worked pretty damned good. The lights look like new. The best part is that polishing compound is like $3 a can.
Wow. Yeah the picture doesn't do it justice, but the one headlamp looked like shit. It pissed me off. I knew there were different things I could try but the Quixx looked like a good idea so I gave it a shot.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
Believe
phynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
phynyx38's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good, great job
Old 07-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Thanks for this post I'll be checking that out when I get home.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by phynyx38 View Post
Looks good, great job
Thanks!
Old 07-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #11

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
The headlight really does look good. i used to use a Meguirs plastic polish and cleaner on my Jeep windows. I wonder how that would work on a headlight.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #12
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The headlight really does look good. i used to use a Meguirs plastic polish and cleaner on my Jeep windows. I wonder how that would work on a headlight.
Thanks! I'm really happy with the way the Quixx works.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
militaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to behold

militaco's Tacoma Gallery
looking good Connor.........don't you just feel better driving around with clean headlights
Old 07-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by militaco View Post
looking good Connor.........don't you just feel better driving around with clean headlights
Thanks! And yes, I feel MUCH better