Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Help Truck Keyed

Old 08-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Help Truck Keyed

So yesterday I was out doing some community service and someone keyed my truck. I have been trying to keep it in the best shape possible. But this one is huge down the whole passenger side. Fortunatly they are pretty light. Does anyone know of a cheap trick to buff them out. Please Help.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post
So yesterday I was out doing some community service and someone keyed my truck. I have been trying to keep it in the best shape possible. But this one is huge down the whole passenger side. Fortunatly they are pretty light. Does anyone know of a cheap trick to buff them out. Please Help.
best bet first is to probably try some meguiars scratch-x and a microfiber rag...see if that helps.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
Rangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant future

Army: 75th Ranger Regiment
Rangerpeterson's Tacoma Gallery
Nope but a "friend" scratched (Git-r-done) into the side of my truck when it was muddy thinking it would be funny.... until I washed the mud off but got to "Keep" the nifty little saying.... scratched into my drivers side door...... so needless to say I'm intrested too.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerpeterson View Post
Nope but a "friend" scratched (Git-r-done) into the side of my truck when it was muddy thinking it would be funny.... until I washed the mud off but got to "Keep" the nifty little saying.... scratched into my drivers side door...... so needless to say I'm intrested too.
the same thing happened to me except my friend thought it would be funny to wright NI**ER on the side of my truck when it was muddy
i was pissed
but after 2 waxings you cant see it any more
Old 08-12-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Uhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Uhaul-n-azz's Tacoma Gallery
If it is just in the clear coat try this stuff get it at walmart for like $15 works good for me.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Do you have any pics of it?
No, I can try to take some tommarow, but they are light you can see them but can't feel them.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post
No, I can try to take some tommarow, but they are light you can see them but can't feel them.
Oh ok, gotcha.

Just try a clear coat like others have suggested, and see how that does.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:03 AM   #12
j_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant future

Name: catdick
j_cyrus's Tacoma Gallery

BILLY MAYS HERE

No, seriously... OP: I waxed my truck this evening with some meguirs and it took a lot of the surface scratches off. Good luck, put up some before and after pics/and what you used to get it out.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #13
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
truck got keyed yesterday all over, will this help?
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/paintpen.asp
Old 10-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
truck got keyed yesterday all over, will this help?
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/paintpen.asp
If it isn't that deep try some scratch remover. Also with those touch up pens they never seem to work work as well as you think. There always seems to be a distinct mark left over.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

its pretty damn deep. if i wet sand the area before using the paint pen it would look better after. also it recommends wetsanding after the primer pen. then after i buff it it will hopefully look good.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #16
snakebite is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
snakebite's Tacoma Gallery
a buffer will get the scratches out with some compound. The rule of thumb to determine if the scratch can be buffed out is if catches your finger nail when you run it perpendicular to the scratch it will not come out with buffing and compound. if you can't catch your finger nail on it, it should come out with some elbow grease. I hope you have some luck.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #17
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

i already hit it with an orbital buffer with rubbing compound, but the scratches are deep. I have to actually repaint the scratches.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
its pretty damn deep. if i wet sand the area before using the paint pen it would look better after. also it recommends wetsanding after the primer pen. then after i buff it it will hopefully look good.
That sucks. Hope everything turns out well. I still can't understand how ruining someone elses day can make your any better. Oh well keep working on it.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #19
def4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: Missile Combat Crew
def4pos8's Tacoma Gallery
Scratches that don't "catch" a fingernail might buff out.

If buffing and compounds don't smooth things out, reapplication of clear may be good enough. The entire area has to be taken down some, so that a proper depth of clear/color match is achieved.

If the marks are down to the color, well, that's just more expensive.

If you have "comprehensive" coverage, your underwriter will pay for vandalism damage, less any deductible.

Waxes and other fillers are temporary fixes.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #20
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by def4pos8 View Post
If you have "comprehensive" coverage, your underwriter will pay for vandalism damage, less any deductible.
called insurance the morning I found out so they are gonna take care of it, but I have a $500 deductible so I may need to fix it myself anyways, not paying $500 to let someone else do my work for me.