1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keyed my own tailgate... best way to fix? (PIC)

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by MUDFISH, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Sep 4, 2009 at 6:04 AM
    MUDFISH

MUDFISH [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Syracuse
    Vehicle:
    12 Double Cab SR5
    So I'm an idiot, and I opened my tailgate with my keys in my hand and dropped the tailgate right on the keys. The scratch is white, and through the clear and blue, I can see white, but no metal.

It is somewhat small, so do you think ScratchX 2.0 will work? Should I just use a paint pen? Should I use a scratch pen after the ScratchX, then wax?

Need some advice...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sep 4, 2009 at 6:40 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    I bought this stuff called Dr. Chip the other day and used it on these chips, and another scratch...It worked really well. I put the How To together but have not posted it. It worked really well. Google Dr. Chip.

[​IMG]

3. Sep 4, 2009 at 6:48 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    What the DR Chip does is fill in the depth of the hole...it took multiple applications but it worked really well. The pics of the finished product are on my camera at home. I will post them up this weekend.

4. Sep 4, 2009 at 6:49 AM
    MUDFISH

MUDFISH [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Syracuse
    Vehicle:
    12 Double Cab SR5
    cool...

5. Sep 4, 2009 at 7:06 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    That is the same kind of stupit shit I do, makes me feel better to see I'm not the lone ranger. Good luck with the repair.

6. Sep 4, 2009 at 7:26 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Can you catch the scratch with your fingernail? If it just barely does, you could polish it out to almost nothing. If it is deep, it will need to be painted.

Never heard of Dr. Chip, however if you get some OEM paint, you can dap it in the crevice witha toothpick or a very very small artist brush. There will be high spots. Then, you will need to wetsand with 2500 grit followed by 3000 grit. You will then need a machine polisher topolish out the sanding marks.

You could go with 2000, however I would try the 2500 first. Go in an up and down patterm very easy and keep the paint WET. Inspect your work. If happy, use 3000 and go left to right. Inspect your work. THe different directions help you see if you have removed all the lower grade sanding marks. Once you are happy with the feel, you will need to use a polish that is aggressive enough to remove those marks. You will need like a Meguiars m105, Adams Swirl & Haze Remover etc. That will need to be followed by a finish polish and a wax. After all that, I highly doubt you will see it.

Word of advice when painting that scratch, go very light and use multiple applications to build up the paint. If you glob on with the applicator it comes with you will have a mess on your hands.

Hope that helps!

7. Sep 4, 2009 at 7:31 AM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    I have a scratch almost identical to that on my tailgate and in the same exact spot. I am not sure how it happened but it pissed me off because it happened right after my tailgate was fixed and repainted under the TSB. I put some touch-up paint on it but it is still very noticable.

8. Feb 14, 2010 at 9:41 PM
    bobatstar76

bobatstar76 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    2010 Timberland Mica Prerunner Sports Package
    Try Meguiars Scratch X 2.0! It worked wonders for me and hope it does for you. Goodluck!!!

9. Feb 14, 2010 at 10:10 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I would say time for a tire gate.

Products Discussed in