Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Keyed my own tailgate... best way to fix? (PIC)

Old 09-04-2009, 06:04 AM   #1
MUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to all

MUDFISH's Tacoma Gallery
Keyed my own tailgate... best way to fix? (PIC)

So I'm an idiot, and I opened my tailgate with my keys in my hand and dropped the tailgate right on the keys. The scratch is white, and through the clear and blue, I can see white, but no metal.

It is somewhat small, so do you think ScratchX 2.0 will work? Should I just use a paint pen? Should I use a scratch pen after the ScratchX, then wax?

Need some advice...

Old 09-04-2009, 06:40 AM   #2
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
I bought this stuff called Dr. Chip the other day and used it on these chips, and another scratch...It worked really well. I put the How To together but have not posted it. It worked really well. Google Dr. Chip.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
What the DR Chip does is fill in the depth of the hole...it took multiple applications but it worked really well. The pics of the finished product are on my camera at home. I will post them up this weekend.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
MUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to all

MUDFISH's Tacoma Gallery
cool...
Old 09-04-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Can you catch the scratch with your fingernail? If it just barely does, you could polish it out to almost nothing. If it is deep, it will need to be painted.

Never heard of Dr. Chip, however if you get some OEM paint, you can dap it in the crevice witha toothpick or a very very small artist brush. There will be high spots. Then, you will need to wetsand with 2500 grit followed by 3000 grit. You will then need a machine polisher topolish out the sanding marks.

You could go with 2000, however I would try the 2500 first. Go in an up and down patterm very easy and keep the paint WET. Inspect your work. If happy, use 3000 and go left to right. Inspect your work. THe different directions help you see if you have removed all the lower grade sanding marks. Once you are happy with the feel, you will need to use a polish that is aggressive enough to remove those marks. You will need like a Meguiars m105, Adams Swirl & Haze Remover etc. That will need to be followed by a finish polish and a wax. After all that, I highly doubt you will see it.

Word of advice when painting that scratch, go very light and use multiple applications to build up the paint. If you glob on with the applicator it comes with you will have a mess on your hands.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:31 AM   #7
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
I have a scratch almost identical to that on my tailgate and in the same exact spot. I am not sure how it happened but it pissed me off because it happened right after my tailgate was fixed and repainted under the TSB. I put some touch-up paint on it but it is still very noticable.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
bobatstar76 is on a distinguished road
Name: Christopher
bobatstar76's Tacoma Gallery
Try Meguiars Scratch X 2.0! It worked wonders for me and hope it does for you. Goodluck!!!
Old 02-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
I would say time for a tire gate.