1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spiderweb cracks in my Paint {PIC}

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by MUDFISH, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Sep 29, 2009 at 10:27 AM
    MUDFISH

MUDFISH [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Syracuse
    Vehicle:
    12 Double Cab SR5
    OK, so this is new... last week I was washing my truck and noticed these spider web cracks in the paint. They were never there before, I've clay barred the truck so I know all the scratches, and this is definitely new... I'm kinda pissed, this is an 09, and shouldn't be cracking like this...

If I take it to the dealer, will they fix it? If not how much would it cost for it to be fixed at a shop?

[​IMG]

2. Sep 29, 2009 at 10:42 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Damn...I started getting small spider cracks on my '04 350Z after 3 or 4 years but that car is parked outside all the time and I didn't wax it for a while there.

Where on your truck is the cracking? I think its caused by UV exposure but its hard to believe seeing this on an '09. Overall I think Toyota has some shitty paint. My g/f's TC has a long blemish from bird crap that was on the quarterpanel for a day at most.

3. Sep 29, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    MUDFISH

Member:
    Syracuse
    Vehicle:
    12 Double Cab SR5

This is on the drivers side rear panel above the wheel well...

It's about 2"x1"...

4. Sep 29, 2009 at 10:54 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Could any chemicals have touched the paint? From the pics it looks like the clearcoat is starting to peel at the edges of the cracks. Is the color coat intact or is it cracked too? Usually paint repairs require repainting the entire panel.

It wouldn't hurt taking it back to Toyota. Worst they could say is no.

5. Sep 29, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    MUDFISH

Member:
    Syracuse
    Vehicle:
    12 Double Cab SR5
    I don't think it came into contact with anything... when I first saw it, there was no residue or anything on it...

6. Sep 29, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    wmb67

wmb67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab Off Road MGM
    That definitely looks like clear coat / paint failure.
    Take to dealer under warranty.

wmb67

7. Nov 9, 2009 at 9:46 PM
    Palmetto Pete

Palmetto Pete Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    In the Mountains
    Vehicle:
    2012 SSM TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    3M Paint Pro Film, OEM Bed Mat, Antenna X, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Foglight Anytime Mod, 8000k HIDs, BFG AT/KOs (265/70/17), Debadged, Ultra-Gauge, Leer 100XR
    I had the same issue and I just found it on my roof today, only I just bought the truck 2 weeks ago. I took it to the dealer and they are going to fix it under warranty. Wouldn't hurt to try and see what they say. They estimated a nickel size spot to be about $300 . . .

Products Discussed in

To Top