Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Detailing Tires

Old 02-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
RCast436 is on a distinguished road
RCast436's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to RCast436
Detailing Tires

I have an 06 Tacoma 4X4 and I'm still running on the stock tires. Does anyone know what I can use to make the white lettering on the tire stand out? When I use tire dressing it blackens out the lettering.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
pmo will become famous soon enoughpmo will become famous soon enough

pmo's Tacoma Gallery
I use 'Fantastic" or Spray Nine, wet it with a hose, spray on cleaner, let it soak for a minute or two, scrub with a sponge or rag and rinse with cean water. They should be white, then use Armourall to 'make 'em shine'
Good Luck!!!
Old 02-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
RCast436 is on a distinguished road
RCast436's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to RCast436
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmo View Post
I use 'Fantastic" or Spray Nine, wet it with a hose, spray on cleaner, let it soak for a minute or two, scrub with a sponge or rag and rinse with cean water. They should be white, then use Armourall to 'make 'em shine'
Good Luck!!!
Is there any product out there that I can use to go over the lettering to make them whiter?
Old 02-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCast436 View Post
Is there any product out there that I can use to go over the lettering to make them whiter?
If the suggestions above or bleach don't work there's always paint.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
a friend of mine had a white car and white rims and wanted white letters on his black tires, so he bought a white paint pen and wrote over the letters and they actually looked descent for them having not been white to begin with
Old 02-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
kevinklk97 is on a distinguished road

kevinklk97's Tacoma Gallery
I use wesley's tire bleach with a tire brush I spray and scrub the whole tire, it removes a lot of dirt that you don't notice it works awesome then I use some kind of tire shine.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:09 PM   #7
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCast436 View Post
I have an 06 Tacoma 4X4 and I'm still running on the stock tires. Does anyone know what I can use to make the white lettering on the tire stand out? When I use tire dressing it blackens out the lettering.

You need to clean your tires first, and get rid of any old tire dressing applicators that are smearing that dirt all over your tires. I really like Eagle One All Wheel & Tire cleaner. Spray it on, scrub with a brush, and hose it off.

Then apply some clean fresh tire dressing. I like to use Tire Gel and apply it with a sponge. No spray-on stuff for me.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
Buffalofan is on a distinguished road

Buffalofan's Tacoma Gallery
I use Simple green with a tire brush.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i use greased lightning for cleaning the tires, then i use meguiars gold class endurance tire shine, with a sponge. works great.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:17 AM   #10
DesertRat
Gerry Villalobos is on a distinguished road
Gerry Villalobos's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a good way to clean tires without using tire dressing. I spend alot of off road time, using tire dressing seems to attract dirt. Looking for a good way to clean and have nice black tires. Help
Old 11-27-2008, 07:28 AM   #11
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Villalobos View Post
Is there a good way to clean tires without using tire dressing. I spend alot of off road time, using tire dressing seems to attract dirt. Looking for a good way to clean and have nice black tires. Help
clean the tires with a good cleaner, then get you some aerospace 303....good stuff, and it wont attract dirt.........but it will leave a nice shine on the tires.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:33 AM   #12
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
i clean my white letters with bleach white... it's a tire cleaner you can get just about anywhere... it works better than anything i have ever used... but i dont know about a tire shine that dosent attract dirt...
Old 11-27-2008, 07:57 AM   #13
DesertRat
Gerry Villalobos is on a distinguished road
Gerry Villalobos's Tacoma Gallery
Where can I find the aerospace 303
Old 11-27-2008, 07:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Villalobos View Post
Where can I find the aerospace 303
i got mine at cabelas.....but if you have a boating supply place close to you, they will most likely carry it. its really good stuff. works great for spraying under the hood on all the plastics when everything is clean.......it will keep it all clean and shiny, but wont attract dust.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #15
dwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura about
Name: Kevin
dwntwnall4u's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Mud_bug View Post
i clean my white letters with bleach white... it's a tire cleaner you can get just about anywhere... it works better than anything i have ever used... but i dont know about a tire shine that dosent attract dirt...
No issues with the bleach white on your black rims? I was going to try this stuff but heard it was not good for paint.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #16
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinklk97 View Post
I use wesley's tire bleach with a tire brush I spray and scrub the whole tire, it removes a lot of dirt that you don't notice it works awesome then I use some kind of tire shine.
That is what I was trying to think of, yes Wesley's works the best of all. Better than bleach. Back when I had a vehicle with white letters, this was the best for it.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #19
tacoGrande is on a distinguished road

tacoGrande's Tacoma Gallery
Back in the day when I used to detail cars......Bleach white, Comet or Ajax on a scratch pad, Brillo pads. All will work good.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #20
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
The white letters on the BFG gugged trail tires get ratty looking quicker than any white letter tires i have ever owned.

Not a big fan of the tires but feel the responsible thing to to wear them out some before changing / upgrading the tires and rims.